Turning 42

I turned 42 this past week and have been reflective on my past year, looking back at what I have or have not accomplished. I seem to dwell more on what I have not accomplished. Others have said, “No you are crazy, look what you have done!” I don’t know, I think we will always be harder on ourselves.

I am very happy with the progress of this blog. I have had people come up to me or email me that I don’t even know and comment on posts which they have read. First, I am still shocked that anyone reads it! Second, it gives me pride, and then immense humility that people would take the time to read and comment on what I write about. I enjoy the comments and critiques and am an open to what has been said to me on how to improve my writing.

In January 2012, I took over as bar manager of the Lake Wynonah Lodge. It has been fun but moderately stressful. I don’t think I correctly estimated the amount of time involved in this volunteer position! I also bartend there for some extra cash. The extra money helps and allows me to be more hands on within the bar. I enjoy the community in the Lake so it is fun to see everyone during my shift.

I was bartending part time at the Summit Station Fire House social club … the Hosey as some call it … but I had to leave the regular shift. It's a smoking establishment and with my bad asthma, I just couldn’t take the smoke anymore. Over a period of 7 months, my asthma and overall allergies just got worse and worse. I still bartend there on occasion when they need a fill in. I joke about putting in my celebrity bartending appearance. I like the local community at Summit Station and I also see people from the Lake coming in as well. It was just the continuous smoke that I couldn’t take.

Unfortunately, I haven’t kept up with the antique/flea market business. Too much time doing other things. I can’t tell you the last time I put something on Ebay to sell. I need to change this and become a more active seller again. Those extra hours are spent doing “Lodge” stuff now. It is frustrating because I really like the antiques business. I still collect but I am nervous about being labeled a hoarder by friends and family! LOL. Actually I am not that bad. Every time I bring in something new into the house (whether an antique, book, item of clothing, etc), I try and get rid of a comparable item by donating it, selling it, and passing it onto a friend.

Work has been very stressful for me these last couple months. I know with this being my blog, I am usually very candid on subjects, but I am just not ready to get into the circumstances surrounding the reasons why. Let’s just say I am taking steps to reduce the stress.

I have been working out more again. This has helped alleviate my stress somewhat. I also am eating better. Salads, veggies, and fresh meats are on the menu. Once a week pizza, wings, and Chinese food have been mostly cut out. I have noticed that I gain weight far too quickly as I get older. It is a never ending battle keeping my little gut at bay.

I still like my red wine so that is staying. I am trying to cut out beer but it's very hard as after a long hard day, I like unwinding with a beer and watching the news before dinner. Instead of beer, I am now making myself a vodka and DIET tonic. Watching those calories baby, watching those calories!

My eyesight has been the only real aggravating “age” thing which I have noticed. It was only a year and ½ ago that I got a new prescription and the eye doctor laughed to me that it would only be another 5 years before bifocals. He sat there laughing about it …that fucker. LOL. Well, time to get those eyes checked again already! Can’t wait to see ya Doc! The week before my birthday, I had to increase the font size on my computer to see better. Talk about adding insult to injury.

The mysterious aches and pains associated with aging have begun to crop up. I was sleeping the other night and was woken up by a sharp stabbing pain in my foot. I screamed and sat up in bed. It felt like someone stabbed me in the heel with a hot poker. Hasn’t happened since. WTF?

I ache in the morning. I hear creaks and noises emanating from my bones and joints. A morning shower helps get me moving. Not a big deal. It’s during the day though, when I step wrong and almost feel my knee or ankle twist that gets me worried. Even walking seems dangerous!

Well, those are my thoughts about turning 42. My last year was an average year overall, let’s say a C. Good on a couple fronts, not so good on others. Again, maybe that is just me being hard on myself! I shouldn’t complain so much, my relationships with family and close friends have never been stronger and I have a wonderful home. And I am still here, writing and churning out blog posts. OK, I’ll give myself a B+.

Comments

  1. Marc, just wait, you aint seen nothing yet. LOL The years don't get any kinder, but they do make a lot of great memories.

    Skip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Thanks Skip. Looking forward to growing older with grace, wisdom, and a bottle of Advil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc, you just make me chuckle when I read your blogs. I just reached the 16th anniversary of my 29th birthday as you well know, and no sorry to say it doesnt get any better. The reading glasses get stronger the aches get more intense but the friendships get better and you learn to laugh a little harder and enjoy life even more.
    Love
    sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol