Charlotte has a Cold

I had just arrived home last night and was walking up my deck steps laden down with a bag of groceries, my briefcase, lunch bag, and several empty coffee mugs left in my car. As I came up to the front door, I remembered that we have a rather large spider, about two inches across, which has made an impressive nest in the back corner of the house. I decided to take a peek at it before I went inside. I dumped all of my belongings on a deck bistro table by the front door and headed to the back of the house.

I was observing the garden spider when from behind me I heard a shout, “WHO’S BACK THERE?”

I turned to see my 70 something neighbor Charlotte standing on her back deck peering over at me, her hand shielding the evening sun from her eyes. Charlotte was a good neighbor, always keeping an eye on who was in the neighborhood and if something didn’t seem right, she spoke up about it.

“It’s just me Charlotte!” I yelled back. “I was just looking at this huge spider spinning its web on the corner of the house.”

“I have a head cold! It’s real bad! I said I HAVE A HEAD COLD!”

“Oh, I heard you! I’m sorry,” I began turning to her. “An end of the summer cold, huh?”

“Yeah, it’s going around. All the kids in the schools have it. Everyone in church has it.”

Don’t ya just love it when people make such blanket statements. It is the truth as they see it completely stretched beyond the point of argument for the sake of conversation. They drive me crazy.

“Well, take care of yourself Charlotte. Can I bring you over something or pick something up at the store for you?” I asked.

“No, I have soup but I may be over later for a shot of whiskey!” she cackled.

“O-kaaaay.” I laughed.

“No, I’m serious; expect me in an hour for a shot of whiskey!” With that, she suddenly went inside and closed her door. I stared at the closed door and shook my head chuckling. I turned to the spider and said “Remind me to toss that piece of cake she brought over yesterday because everyone has a cold.”

She never did come over for the whiskey, but I will check on her this evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol