Thoughts of Hurricane Sandy

My thoughts go out to those that have been deeply affected by this hurricane, or superstorm, as they are now calling it. Sandy, as she became to be named, devastated large areas of the Jersey coast, New York City, and the two tristate areas. Raging blizzards pummeled parts of west Maryland and West Virginia. Those of us who survived this storm need to take count of our friends and family and consider ourselves lucky we made it through. Houses can be repaired, cars can be replaced. Human life cannot. 33 people so far have lost their lives in the US due to the storm. 33 families have lost love ones. Last night, as the storm hit my area, I was scared to death. The winds howled, rain pelted, branches crashed around the house, and trees fell in the woods behind. With every gust, I stiffened up waiting for the subsequent crash of something falling to the ground or being thrown against the house. I am angry at certain people that thought this storm would be nothing. Get a clue. You prepare and if nothing comes your way, consider yourself lucky. Others were not. What about the 1000's that lost their homes at the Shore less than an hour from Philly? What about the 80 or so homes devastated by fire on Long Island? To those who bitched that Philly got nothing after they prepared, you should just consider yourselves very lucky! I prepared by stocking up on cat food, people food, water, flashlights, and batteries. I filled the tub for extra water if needed to flush the toilets. I was on constant watch for any leaks in the our roof repairs. I made several meals which could be eaten cold if the power went down for a week. I got the box of MRE's out just in case it would be longer. I tied down everything I could so it would not become a projectile and damage my home or someone else's. THIS IS WHAT YOU DO WHEN FACED WITH A POSSIBLE HIT FROM A HURRICANE. It wasn't above and beyond. Lastly, one more thought to those that complained about having to prepare: just remember, that one time you don't prepare, you could live or possibly NOT live ... to regret it. I spent a day preparing and it was worth it.

Comments

  1. Great post Marc. Don't get up set of what i'm about to say, but I know your no longer a Boy Scout! Your too damn old. LOL But you learned your lessons well. Always be prepared!! I'm glad you two came through this storm okay. Get some 5 gallon water jugs for the next time you may need emergency water, they're easier to handle and move around.
    Skip

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life