When Life Hands You Lemons... Oh Whatever!

I am sitting here at a favorite cafe, The Big Catch in Skook County, and contemplating what is happening in my life right now. Some good, some not so good. I am really enjoying just relaxing today, sipping some coffee and writing. I am not so much enjoying the precocious child who feels he must play his PSP (Play Station gamey-type thing) at full volume at the next table over. All those beeps and whistles are reminding me of a bad trip at a NYC club in the 90's that I happened to ... ehr, that I heard about from a friend. 

Where are this child's parents?  OK, thankfully little Billy's mother just came over and dragged him away before I had to lob a cinnamon bun in his direction.  I am pretty good at lobbing scones and pastries from working as high tea server at the Ritz-Carlton Philly in my 20's.  My friend Grant had the bruises to prove it.

Where was I?  It is said that in life there are major stressors:  having kids, marriage, job change, moving,  death (well duh, of course), divorce, health issues, and a couple others that escape me. So what do you do when life hands you lemons ... or a major stressor? I hate that saying "make lemonade" and I am going to tell you why.

OH MY GOD some little girl is asking me about Girl Scout cookies! No thank you, little girl, I gained all the weight back from my bout with the flu this month so I don't have any available room to spare around my gut for more fat. Thank you very much though. (Of course I nodded no thanks, but that's what I was thinking.)

Solving your problems is obviously not as easy as making lemonade! LOL. You are given lemons and sometimes lemonade will never be the outcome!  "Sayings" are such an easy way out. They serve a purpose I guess, to make things easier by fitting them in a figurative little box with a bow. But real life doesn't fit neatly into a box with a bow. So what do we do.

Well, one of the benefits of growing older aka "frazzled at forty-something", is that you gain an incredible perspective called wisdom. And I love it. Wisdom allows you to step back and view that stressful situation with intelligence, insight and introspection. You take a breath and actually think about your future actions rather than acting immediately, emotionally, and without reason.  Ahh remember those days of youth when we would react immediately and not know any better?  Heh heh, I think most of us are actually glad they are over.

I have a big situation coming up and I am glad I have gained wisdom in my first 42 years to try and deal with it.  I breathe easier I guess. At the very least I am going into it with both eyes open. I figure there is no sense in freaking out over things at this point. It only adds to the stress. Face it head on they say? I'll try and practice that saying. It's better than making lemonade ... unless I can add a little vodka to it.




Comments

  1. Hey.... Lemonade in February doesn't have the same appeal as it does in July or August... so if you want somebody to talk it out with.... or just someone to listen... let me know... I am discreet and my rates are very low! :-)... perhaps a glass or two of Makers. Whatever it is... hang in there... "this too shall pass".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. As a senior to you I can say it rings true. Good luck with your upcoming situation. You have friends and the spirit to see your through it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol