Flea Market Finds!

I was up way before the crack of dawn this morning at 3:30 AM.  John and I were on our way to a favorite flea market where we buy and sell at called Jake's in Barto, PA. Both our vehicles were laden down with our antiques, flea market items, and bottom of the barrel crap not to mention bags, labels, tags and tables! Jake's Flea Market is a huge flea market with several hundred vendors on Route 100 just north of Boyertown, PA. As with any large flea market, if you are looking for something, chances are it can be found at Jake's

We arrived at Jake's at around 5:15 AM and were relieved that we were able to get a couple of pretty good spaces. The threat of rain held everyone at bay so it wasn't as crowded as it normally is on a summer Sunday. After walking around shopping for treasures for 45 minutes, we set up our stuff in the couple of spaces we rented and started selling our wares. We always bring a mixture of items and are successful at selling because of this.

Vintage Berry Baskets
Besides selling, half the fun of doing a flea market is walking around and buying stuff you can't live without!  We takes turns hunting for treasures. Today, I came across some great finds and wanted to share them with you.

The first I found were a couple of vintage berry baskets, two for a buck! I am going to use them in my pantry for onions and small potatoes. I usually only keep a couple of each on hand so they are the perfect size and fit right on the pantry shelf.

At another booth, I was digging through a mess of odd silverware looking for tea strainers and came across 3 red Bakelite spoons from the Art Deco era, figure the 1930's. I love anything from this time period. I have seen these spoons go for around $5 or $6 a piece. I try and pick up pieces wherever I can.  I picked up these three for 25 cents each. Not too bad if I say so myself!


 
Next, I was hunting for some plants for my deck and came across a copper Arts and Crafts vase of some sort. It is missing a top piece but is a perfect example of copper work from that era, figure 1860 to around 1910. I will use it as a vase or just display it. I love the lines and design of the piece. After negotiating with the dealer, she took off $4 and I got it for $8.  I think this piece comes from the early 1900s.



I picked up a very interesting shot glass at the bottom of a box of stuff for $3. It is of a swirl pattern but with a silver plated rim. I have never seen anything like it. It is very old, I would say 2nd half of the 1800s. If anyone has a clue, lemme know!

I also included two flint cordial or sherry glasses that I picked up the week prior at Renninger's Flea Market in Adamstown, PA. I snagged them both for $20. A steal since they usually go for around $25 a piece. One has a chip on the bottom you can barely even notice. Well worth the price. These flint glasses were  made during the late 1700s to early 1800s. I have started collecting them and love drinking out of them (very carefully of course.) I have 6 now. I know it sounds kind of crazy but I wish these antiques could tell me their stories. What person in the late 1700s drank out of these glasses? It's cool to think that I am drinking from the same glass.

Lastly, I picked up a gift for my sister Sheryl's birthday in July. Let's just say she will love it. I will give you a peek ... just kidding!  Sheryl will have to wait until her birthday on July 19th!



Comments

  1. Very Nice, especially Sheryl's LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your Views, I have found Some More Stuff while Surfing the web about the Topic It will be helpfull for you.

    Recycling and Waste - The Green Directory has the most comprehensive selection of Green, Eco, Sustainable, Fair Trade and Environmentally Friendly Companies, Products and Services. Use the eco directory to find green, eco, fair trade, recycled and sustainable businesses, services, news, events, articles and guides.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol