A Vegetable Dip with a Kick!

Kitchen hint:

I have memories of Mom tearing up from chopping onions and us kids just laughing and laughing at her. We knew how to push her buttons. She would then start laughing and be crying at the same time. It is one of those kitchen memories which stick with you and you just smile and chuckle to yourself  every time you think of it.  I never said I was an easy kid to live with.

Anyway, to prevent crying from cutting raw onions, several websites online state to place the onion in the freezer for 10 minutes before slicing.Check out the Ehow.com website  as an example! This will prevent sulfides from being released when you chop up that onion. These pesky sulfides are what cause your eyes to water.  I have tried this and it actually helps, although personally I feel crying while chopping onions is a right of passage for any home cook.  It also brings me back to that great memory of my Mom in the kitchen.


Mom's recipe card, SO 1970's!

Every one of Mom's parties had a crudité platter (raw veggies). My mom made a wonderfully vegetable dip with a touch of curry. It is not overly hot but it hits you with a spicy tangy bite at the end. She would serve the vegetables in the same 1970's red circular tray with a matching red bowl for the dip. These days, if I ever have a party, BBQ, or get together, I always have a crudité platter and dip set out. It's an easy addition to your appetizer table.  Get four types of favorite veggies; I often use cherry tomatoes, carrots, snap peas, and colorful sweet peppers. Add whatever dip you would like. If I am not making Mom's dip, I usually have two dips on hand, a ranch and a French dressing. For my recent Christmas Eve party, I made her dip and had a ranch dressing on hand as well.

Mom's favorite crudite' and dip platter. 

The problem was that I couldn't find any curry powder. I have every spice imaginable except CURRY POWDER! I called four friends and no one had any.  I looked up online if there was substitutes and found that curry powder is actually a spice mix, something which I had not known. Luckily, I had every spice available to make my own curry powder, something I became pretty excited about. Below is the recipe for Mom's veggie dip and then after that, the curry powder recipe I came across online. Unfortunately I do not have the link to it but there are plenty of variations out there for making your own curry powder. 

VEGETABLE DIP by Abby Deeds

2 cups Miracle Whip
3 teaspoons curry powder
3 Tablespoons chili sauce
Pepper
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½-1 teaspoon grated onion 

Mix well – chill 2 hours
Serve with fresh vegetables.
(Can be made the day prior and chilled overnight, just mix well again before serving. -Marc)

CURRY POWDER (recipe found online) 

1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, to taste
optional:  pinch of nutmeg, pinch of cardamom powder, pinch of cinnamon
Mix well.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol