Copper Pennies Recipe


My mother had this recipe for a chilled carrot salad since the late 1980's.  I thought it was a bit odd and dated but after research, I found that it originates from the South and goes back quite aways. There are a number of variations online. It may also be known as sweet and sour carrots. I've seen versions made with brown sugar instead of regular sugar. There are also versions using white vinegar for a bit of a more sour flavor.  I mean, even Paula Dean has a version!: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/copper-pennies-recipe.html

I'm not sure where Mom got her recipe. She never made it for us. I have a number of recipes from my father's side of the family from his family ranch in South Dakota. Alot of them are either salad recipes or cookie recipes. I am thinking maybe Mom's version came from out there. I made is skeptically and was quite surprised with how much I liked it. Since there is no mayonnaise in the recipe, it would really hold up on a spring or summer day! It is a perfect refreshing salad for a BBQ or picnic.

Copper Pennies by Abby Deeds

2 lbs carrots - peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch coins (I used these bagged oval crinkle-cut carrots bought at Weiss Markets. They worked out quite nicely.)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 large onion diced
1 large pepper diced (Mom didn't specify but I used a green bell pepper.)
1 cup (5 1/2 oz) tomato juice
1 tspn prepared mustard (I just used yellow mustard.)
1 tspn Worcestershire sauce
1 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper

Cook carrots until crisp-tender then drain.
Combine all remaining ingredients in large bowl. Mix well.
Add carrots and stir until well mixed.
Cover, refrigerate 3-4 hours.
Serve cold.
Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Yields 8 cups.

Comments

  1. Sounds interesting.... might give it a try... we have a friend who is a vegan and it sounds as this might be something he would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Jack! Let me know if you friend likes it. If he doesn't, it was Kay's idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol