A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol

Marc with Hives
(Cabbage Patch link)

By chance, I completed this blog post on Mother's Day so I guess I will put it up dedicated to my dear Mother Abby. Not a day goes by where I don't think about you, miss you, and love you. And I guess I will thank my Mother for passing on a whole mess of allergies to me, LOL. It's not so bad, I live with them. Sometimes as you will see below, a new allergy will crop up and be added to my list. As my Mom once said to me, "Your allergies? Well you can thank your Mother for that one!"

A couple years ago, my doctor recommended I stop drinking so much coffee as well as those energy drinks. I drank the energy drinks fairly often like at least once every couple days. It didn't matter the brand, just whatever was on sale or available. He had stated that he thought there was nothing beneficial to them from a nutritional standpoint and he'd rather have me drink my coffee instead. I did not completely give up my coffee but cut back on it as well. 

The other week I was shopping at the local supermarket after work. I didn't feel like making an extra stop for cup of coffee before the ride home so I grabbed a Monster Energy brand drink. I hadn't had one in ages so I figured I'd save time, grab one, and be on my way. I drank them before with no bad reaction whatsoever: the Regular, the Lo-carb, and the Zero Ultra. I decided to try the Absolute Zero variety to see what it tasted like.

I started drinking it, had about 1/4 of the can and within 5 minutes, my armpits.... YES my armpits, started itching. I started sweating pretty profusely. I was perplexed to say the least. I checked the car temperature, maybe it was on high heat? Nope. I thought about my antiperspirant, maybe a reaction? Nope, I'd been using it for weeks with no issue. I thought about the laundry detergent and my shirt. New detergent? Nope. I was using the same brand for the last several weeks as well.

The itching got worse and I had to pull over to the slower lane. My legs itched, my chest itched, my neck itched, arms, hands, feet, my "nuggets N tender" itched. WHAT THE HECK???? I looked at my arms and I was breaking out in hives!!!

Monster Energy Absolute Zero
I called my sister immediately and gave her the rundown on my itchy situation. After a frazzled conversation, we identified the culprit, the Monster Energy drink! She told me to make a beeline to the nearest pharmacy and grab some Benadryl. That was good advice because the swelling wasn't going down. I bought a bottle of 100 and popped two to start and took off for home.

I wasn't too worried because I've had hives before but in retrospect I should've probably gone to an urgent care facility as my throat started feeling a little itchy. I made it home, popped two more and then passed out on the couch. Yeah, I know a lot of you are thinking I am crazy for that as my throat could've closed up and I would've died on that couch. It didn't happen but rest assured, if I ever have a reaction like that again, I will go straight to a doctor. 

After this energy drink fiasco, I did some online research to see what was the difference between the ones I normally drink and this one, the Absolutely Zero flavor. Luckily, there are many many websites which list the ingredients of these drinks. I've never heard of half of those ingredients though!

One thing stood out which I noticed was not in the other energy drinks I had consumed was the ingredient erythritol. It's an artificial sweetener / sugar substitute which can be used on it's own or used with other sweeteners such as aspartame (think Equal or NutraSweet). In nature, erythritol is naturally occurring in pears, soy sauce, wine, sake, watermelon, and grapes. (link)

In addition, it was reported online that erythritol has been known to cause gastro-intestinal problems, headaches and wait for it ... allergic skin reactions such as hives. From the website https://draxe.com/erythritol/ :  "Although not highly common, erythritol can cause an allergic skin reaction for some people. A study published in 2000 in the Journal of Dermatology demonstrates how drinks containing erythritol can potentially cause a severe allergic skin reaction. A young 24-year-old woman had severe wheals (hives) all over her entire body after having one glass of a beverage sweetened with erythritol." 

In addition, and this is scary, there is research that erythritol is a "potent insecticide that kills fruit flies which consume it." (link below)

WHAAAT? Put on those brakes and let that sink in!!

This major sweetener which is a genetically modified and chemically processed corn product is now being researched to be used as a "safe" insecticide.  Interesting articles are below (in safe links) laying out the pros and cons. Even if it is "safe" I think I am going to begin passing on these artificial sweeteners. People, we really need to be more proactive into finding out what we put into our bodies!

http://www.naturalnews.com/045450_Truvia_erythritol_natural_pesticide.html
http://foodidentitytheft.com/are-you-adding-a-powerful-pesticide-to-your-morning-coffee/

Now to be fair, websites also state that many of these energy drink companies do not divulge what their natural flavors are, so it very well could be that one of those "mysterious" natural flavors caused my reaction. But I've drank other energy drinks with natural flavors and no reaction so I'm gonna start avoiding erythritol wherever I can.

I went to Starbucks the other day and chose their stevia sweetener for my coffee thinking it would be a safer/healthier alternative. It is actually stevia EXTRACT combined with ERYTHRITOL! Further research shows that a popular stevia extract brand, Truvia, is made with 99.5% erythritol and ONLY 0.5% stevia extract! (link below)

Scratch using that one!

I have seen the "Stevia In The Raw" and "Sugar in the Raw" brand sweeteners which I will now seek out and try instead of the pink stuff, blue stuff, and yellow stuff. I've also heard good things about monk fruit sweeteners. Here is a good link for info on stevia and monk fruit including the pros and cons of both! http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/monk-fruit-vs-stevia#monk-fruit1

You know, it makes me yearn for those days in the 70s and 80s of that pink stuff where you just had to worry about cancer in lab rats.

Or just MAYBE ... I am already sweet enough. LOL :)


Blogger's Note: This is my own experience and point of view with energy drinks. If you wanna drink them, go for it but do some research on what you're consuming and start making smarter decisions on what goes into your body. I have drank many brands and varieties of energy drinks in the past with no reaction whatsoever. I attribute this bad reaction to the erithrytol and/or those mysterious natural flavors. IN ADDITION, the LINKS I have provided above are safe. 



Comments

  1. Thanks for your research into this but sorry it followed a bad experience. I was going to recommend Whole Earth sweetener from Aldi's, labelled "with stevia and Monk fruit." Then the main ingredient is, surprise, Erythritol.
    I too inherited a propensity for allergies from my mother. This day, and always, may she rest in peace in the hills east of San Jose, Ca, where I spread her ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time put photos of the hives up so we can laugh! Just kidding. I love Monster Energy Drink but I have been lucky never to have any reactions. But I use regular sugar/products because I am chubby and would rather die from a massive heart attack instead of cancer. To each his own, I guess. Feel better, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was happy to come across your experience here. Recently, I've been using a Xylitol, Erythritol and Stevia combo sweetener which is from a very good quality source. This is the only thing recently changed in my diet from what I had ever consumed before. Oddly enough, also very recently I started to develop itchy legs, red itchy armpits (yes, I laughed when I saw your post so I knew I wasn't crazy) and itchy bumps, small welts all up and down my arms. At first I thought it was a certain lotion with hemp which I stopped using. Just now I drank a blended drink sweetened with that blend and all of a sudden the rash came back again, the itchy legs and pits came back too. I am sure you are on to something and I am going to take this out of my food supply (especially after I read it kills flies) and see if that makes the itchy scratchy's go away! Thanks again for putting your post out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to thank you for posting this comment! Much appreciated!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have experienced hives last month for the first time due to what was probably an "overdose" of erythritol ever since I baked some great tasting brownies that had more than a cup of Swerve as part of the recipe. Up to that point I could use Truvia packets in coffee with no problem. I guess once your body becomes sensitized to it even small amounts (one Truvia packet) will now evoke a hive showing up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a terrible experience with Truvia a couple of years ago. I'd never had hives before, and after consuming a homemade apple crumble made with Truvia over the course of a few days, I developed hives and angioedema. I was covered in sores and blisters all over my forearms and to a lesser extent on my legs. This lasted for two weeks and I needed prescriptions for steroid cream and Diprobase, as well as needing to take antihistimes and cover myself in calomine lotion. I spoke and wrote to Silver Spoon the makers of Truvia, who vehemently denied Truvia (which is made of mainly erythritol) could cause any side effects. I know for an absolute fact that it did, but it's my word against theirs.

    There should be a case for compensation as I've seen many posts of people complaining of the same side effect. The packaging needs to be changed to come with a warning - I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH Lynn for sharing your story! It helps more people become aware of the dangers of these artifical sweetners! ;)

      Delete
  7. I just got back from the ER after having a very serious full body breakout of hives. Like you, it started in the armpits, sweating, and facial swelling about 10 minutes after I ate a bunch of ice cream that contained erythritol. They pumped me with steroids and benadryl, and I recovered in just a few hours. No respiratory issues though, but now my intestines are starting to rumble and hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last week I ate three bites of strawberries dipped in about 1/4tsp of (erythritol) granules and within 10 minutes was so sick, hives, itching, swelling and a blinding migraine headache... two days later I was still feeling like I had been run over. Every joint in my body swelled and was inflamed! Never again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started truvia 3 yrs ago. Was itching and got red skin.have been on zertec for three yrs. Went to Mexico and in my coffee I use 2 pckts.was takingb2 cups so total 4 pkts sometimes afternoon also. In 2 weeks came with severe itching and red rashes. Made an appointment. Got steroid dose pack. Then went to another trip and not realizing did the same with truvia. Arriving in.london I googled can erithritol cause skin allergy. I came across Mark's blog. Thank you mark. Stopped truvia. Got a steroid shot. But now I am taking zertec but nothing seems to help. Taking 4 zertec. Tried to get appointment for allergist and got for August 7th. I am really suffering. Anyone out there has any suggestion.please let me know. Thanks mark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your blog post! I'm following a keto diet and decided to make some "cinnamon toast crunch" that had a lot of erythritol in it. I woke up feeling horrible with hives all over my arms. I itched from my eyelashes to my toes. It's been awful. There's not much out there about these reactions and I so appreciate your first hand account of your adverse reaction that confirmed my suspicion! ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am now convinced it’s the sweetener. Thought it was my pool. But my itch came out at night the worst. From eyes to head to ankles. Today I will stop the sweetener. Thanks for posting.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for well explain blog.
    I use to drink monster ( regular green)everyday, suddenly one day I feel my chest start itching. It’s last a week . Then I start low calories ( white) one I have no issues even if I drink Red Bull I have no problems. Even all have almost same ingredient. I make a doctor appointment and explain to him. He tell me I’m allergic to some kind vitamins and recommend a allergy test or don’t drink regular monster. So I fallow the advice and stop drinking the regular monster but I am still drinking other brand and Red Bull. I have no problems so far

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It's the erythritol! I was sure it was the Stevia, but I didn't have the same type of rash that others described on other blogs. I totally related to the post about tolerating the packets of Truvia with no reaction, then made a recipe with a cup of Swerve (Erythritol and Stevia combo) and I developed a horrible rash on my arms and legs. My rash got worse when I scratched, which made me think it was more "hive" related. Here's what I did and it helped: Non-drowsy Antihistamine every 24 hrs (Allegra) and my doctor called in a large container of a steroid cream (Triamcinolone) that I was instructed to apply all over two times per day. I've gone without the rash and Truvia x 3 weeks. I tried two packets of a generic Truvia (Erthritol and Stevia) in my coffee a few days ago and, boom! My rash came back within an hour. Ugh. Now I'm looking at other sweeteners that are not toxic and don't have erythritol (some Monk Fruit blends have erythritol - ugh!). I've ordered pure Monk fruit drops and I'm checking out Yucan Syrup. Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I drank I supposedly "healthy, vitamin packed" energy drink with erythritol in it and within minutes afterward my hands and face were itching and tingling and hot and I had severe pain in the side of my neck. This stuff needs to be taken off the market If anyone has any Dr's reports of visits and allergic reactions I would really like to get this rolling. I feel it is highly toxic and dangerous. I work in the medical field as a certified occupational therapist and from a health perspective this needs to be taken off the market. Its dangerous. I can be reached at rachel30_40@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes. Thank you all for this I have been trying to figure out my itchy rash problem for more than two years. Even my allergist thinks just sugar and carbs. It always comes around summer to fall and my face and wrists swell so bad I end up in the hospital. The one thing that has remained unnoticed and consistent is that I go towards "healthier eating" during that time of year and I begin using erythitol. It's been awhile since I have used them and I haven't had much of an issue I found some erythitol suckers at the dentist today and BAM, the full on itching and swelling are back. I am thankful I came across this post. I second the truvia comments as well and will have to make an allergist appointment tomorrow to confirm these suspicions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please let us all know the results of your appointment. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had a year of all over body hives and was eventually prescribed an epipen. All the Drs/allergists kept saying was we don't know, probably stress. That was when I started drinking energy drinks. I thought is was exposure to mold. after a year, i stopped getting them. I thought it was sucralose. (red bull makes me feel funny,I find monster is best tasting and no side affects for me) I was researching eythotol and how it's natural and better than stevia so I thought monster- zero was wonderful. I don't drink coffee or sodas otherwise. Reseraching that brought me to this blog. Sharing your experience may explain my hives mystery and the "itchy insides" feeling I occassionaly get. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was doing okay with small amount of erythritol until I made a lovely cake with erythritol...eating a small slice of the cake made my forearms itch and get a rash. After 4 days of eating the same cake, I developed hives. It took 1 week of 3x a day anti-allergy pills+ 2 weeks of 1x/day of allergy pills + steroid creams to get the erythritol out of my system and the hives to dissipate. During that three week period, I seemed to react to many things despite being very careful about what I ate. (no artificial sweeteners or processed food). The erythritol made my immune system go on high alert I reckon... 3 months later this month I try again... I can no longer tolerate 5 consecutive days of erythritol in my drink...unfortunately all the stevia in the supermarket appear to contain erythritol as well. Have gone back to brown sugar/honey as those are at least less processed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Guess I'll add to the reports in these comments. Never had allergies and it doesn't run in my family but after drinking a rockstar xdurance (a brand I have never drank before) I began to itch and break out in hives. I took benadryl and within a few hours I was ok. I'm pretty upset about this experience. These companies are not keeping consumers and our health a priority. If I had the time and money I'd do something about it but I don't so I'll just drink black coffee from now on. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been one to have allergies, broke out in hives on lower extremities during night only for 3 nights, 4th day I went to Urgent Care since there was sickness going around my house-they determined probably related to that, some kind of viral illness. Got dexamethasone shot and that relieved it within a day. Week later I get the hives again. Finally today after researching more I found your blog and it hit me that I had made some KETO muffins with monk fruit sweetener (but #1 ingredient is erythritol) I now am convinced this caused my hives. I'm done, won't ever have that again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the same experience many of you have had. I'm in great health and I eat well. I don't partake in energy drinks but I've been using erythritol in my coffee and after about a week I developed hives. skin doctor said it had something to do with the Flora and fauna here in Florida but I hadn't really been in contact with the grass palm trees ECT. these hives developed after about a week's worth of using erythritol in my coffee and we're on the side of my face left side of my chest and a row of dots across my hand and forearm. Had to be the erythritol. Thanks for all the posts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Came across this post and have similar hives problem. I have been using truvia in my coffee before was equal. Usually I don't have a problem but today I had 3 cups of coffee 1 packet each without food. I broke out in bilateral rash on both arms. Mine are mostly like itchy welts/blisters. I could not put my finger on it because this is not common for me and seems to randomly attack. Today was the first time I can suspect it was Truvia. First researched Stevia thinking maybe the Ragweed relationship could have triggered the hives. Came across this page and now this Erythritol can be just as bad. When I had Equal, never had this problem and I was a 5+ cup coffee a day. Seems my eyes were puffy and tear easy. Breathing was a little difficult and often tired. I moved to Raw Sugar for now and will see what happens after 2 weeks.... Both parts of Truvia can cause hives... So best to cut them out of my diet ;) Good luck all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this is absolutely eye opening. I am in Europe and too had a relatively severe allergic reaction after I tried eating for a week an erythritol “sweetened” diabetes-friendly cookies. Thought something else caused the allergy and later on bought another brand of “sweets for diabetics” and what do you know - again heavy rash on hands/legs. This time it was clearly not a coincidence and a quick look at the ingredients revealed the key - erythritol! Turns out indeed it takes time until it accumulates in the body, but when it does - beware! I think the right path for the health authorities is to oblige manufacturers of food to start warning consumers about this ingredient. This can not be classified anymore as “accidental and sporadic” internet reports.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!