Lesson Learned as a Young Man

"Parvin State Park"


When I hike, my mind wanders. I was in the end stretch of a 7 mile hike on the Elk Trail in Elk County, PA when I thought back to one of the greatest lessons by my father that I have ever learned. Ironically on the Elk Trail, I saw no elk. I saw signs of elks: their scat, their prints in the mud, but no elk. I did see elk in pretty much everyone's front yard in Benezette and Weedville, PA though. The elk, as it seems, like to hang out in yards filled with grass, lazily munching away.

Back to the lesson from my father, it was and to this day, a memorable and important one. It stayed with me because it rattled my core. My father was disappointed in me. I learned from it and he forgave me. For that I am thankful. And I never forgot the lesson he taught me.

I was in Cub Scouts as a young boy. Went through the Webelos (between 10-12 yrs of age) and then onto Boy Scouts for a couple years. Dropped out. Wasn't for me. Moved on with life... ha-ha... my BUSY childhood life. During the time that I was in Webelos, I went camping with my troop with my Dad, my Uncle Carl, and my cousin Carl as well as several good close friends from Wenonah, NJ.

We camped at Parvin State Park in South Jersey. I think there were about 10 of us kids. One afternoon, the entire troop went on a 3 miles hike around the park. Dad and Uncle Carl treated the hike as a learning experience, showing us scouts (we were kinda pre-scouts) the nature, flora, and fauna of a Pine Barrens forest.

One of my best school buddies and I ignored my father's efforts to make it a group event and charged ahead like it was a race. We ignored my Dad's directives to slow down and remain with the troop. My friend and I decided to continue on ahead. And charge ahead we did, we completed the trail in record time. We left everyone in the dust. We won... or did we?

No, sadly, we did not. We won nothing except bragging rights over a group of kids that did not even care. How sad, we won bragging rights for ourselves.

It was supposed to be a learning group activity: observing the woods and surrounding swamp, living in the moment, observing nature. It was not a competition, it was not a race.

After the hike, I remember lying in my tent on my sleeping bag with my arms clasped behind my head all smug. My Dad came poked his head into my tent and stated to me sternly, "I'm very disappointed in you. It was NOT a race." I was crushed by my father's disappointment. I stayed in my tent awhile, thoroughly embarrassed by what had happened.

Eventually, I came outside and rejoined my fellow scouts by the fire. I don't know if my Dad said anything about it to my friend. It didn't matter though. The fact that he scolded me for something which should've been so obvious was meaningful enough. What he had said affected me and got through to me.

I looked at Dad and said I was sorry. Dad, in his always peaceful and calm voice said, "It's OK Marc, just learn from it."

I did. And this is one of those life lessons you learn from and apply it to events which occur down the road for the rest of your life. It was an important life
lesson from a kind loving father, my biggest influence besides my mother to this day.

Life goes by too fast. It's not a race. Take notice of what is around you. Look at the trees in the forest, not just the forest. Listen to the birds, the rustling of a squirrel running through the leaves. The smells of the woods, the mossy areas. Take heed of your sense. Apply this to life, your day to day existence.

Don't let the little things pass you by. While shopping at the supermarket, smell your veggies and fruit. I mean REALLY STOP AND SMELL those oranges! Pet your dog or cat. Feel how soft they are. How they purr or how happy they are that you are giving them affection. Cook your meal and actively admire how good it smells in your kitchen. Listen to music while cooking. Enjoy the jazz, classical, or classic rock. What ever turns you on!

Slow down, turn on your sense, and take a deep breath. You'll be a better person for it.



Comments

  1. I love this blog entry. One of the outstanding moments from your youth and you learned from it and are still using it to guide your path. And it certainly is a lesson for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Marc and it is a Life Lesson for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story and advice Marc! DK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol