Building Water DROPPED Into My Eye



I was walking into work one recent Monday and decided to cut across the smoking area of our government parking deck. It's a small triangular shaped overhang area, no bigger than a 10x10 kitchen. No one was smoking at the time, it was just me trying to save a step or two. I wasn't running late, just moving into work at a pretty decent clip.

I diagonally crossed through the area when at that very instant a large drop of water fell from the concrete parking deck and landed exactly between my glasses and into my right eyeball! I screamed to no one, "WHAT THE HELL?"

I quickly took off my glasses and wiped the bong water from my right eyeball as its remainder was dripping down my face. I am sure I caused a corneal abrasion from wiping my eye with my shirt sleeve.

It had rained the evening prior. This large drop had perfectly navigated air currents to drop at the exact space between my eyeglass lens and my eyeball! I was freaking out. I rushed into work blindly scrambling to turn my computer with the use of my one good eye.

I needed WebMD IMMEDIATELY. If only I could've called "Dr. Bombay, Dr. Bombay, Come in please!?" and have him pop in from having tea while on some safari like  he would do for Samantha in that 60's show Bewitched.

But no.... I had to rely on sketchy modern medical science! I was sure at this point that my eye was beginning to burn from some horrible amoebic and bacterial infection which had previously been lurking in one of the crevasses of that 50s concrete behemoth of a parking garage and NOW had taken hold of my eyeball in it's quest to leave me blind!!

I was on my way to becoming blind in one eye and would be forced to wear a patch. They'd call me Officer Patchy from now on. No more Officer Haynes! Coworkers would try and convince me it was OK with the patch. I would wear a themed patch for each holiday. I'd have a patch for Halloween, one for Christmas, and one for Easter. My life would now have me known for wearing the patch.

It seemed like an eternity for my computer to come up. I sat there for ages with my eye now burning and I think I felt a fever coming on. Once the computer was up, I immediately  began searching the web for similar stories and thankfully, I was not the only one this happened too.

There were many, many people that this happened to in other circumstances. Some people were like me, had water drip from a dirty building into their eye. Others, while playing sports usually, got splashed in the eyes with dirty puddle water. And still others had gross eye-encounters with toilet water, dirty sink water, and pond water. I was NOT ALONE!

I always feel better when I can commiserate with other people, even it means with strange internet people with user-names like Reddit user "Nacho-bizniz" or Yahoo users "Die Brucke" or "Justlikesgravy". They recommended flushing the eye with water, washing my hands, and taking eye drops. I did all of those but still was skeptical. I needed statistics!

A user on Yahoo (the aforementioned "Justlikesgravy") stated that if I were not a contact lens wearer, there was a 1 in 10 million chance of contracting an eye infection. I felt a little better with this knowledge from SUCH a trustworthy not to mention noteworthy source.

I did some further research and the consensus did seem to be that I would be OK. Just flush out the eye. The body is pretty well able to handle splashes of questionable water in one's eye without issue.

Well the infection never came and quite honestly, by lunch time, I had pretty much forgotten about it all. The drama was over until I left that day and walked towards that same parking garage overhang.

I cautiously stared up at the overhang 10 feet away. I was going to say Eff-it and charge through, walking underneath with the confidence of someone walking under a ladder. Yeah the drop won that day. I walked around the overhang to my car.


Comments

  1. You could have had so much fun with the eye patch. But glad you will be ok.Sensei.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol