Some favorite Impressionist/Expressionist artwork!

The following works of art are some favorite works of Impressionism and Expressionism that I have loved from my studies in the art history program at Rutgers University way back when. Art history continues to be a passion and love of mine! These works move me in one way or another. They are copied for purely educational reasons and obviously I do not own the originals. LOL.

"Starry Night" by Vincent Van Gogh



I did my thesis at Rutgers on Vincent. I didn't do so well on it. LOL. Long time ago. I love this pic. Very forboding, disturbing. Nightmarish.I love it.

"Le Moulin de la Galette"   by Pierre-Auguste Renoir



I love this work because I have always felt the frenetic activity taking place: the dancing, the talking, the drinking, all the fun! It reminds me of myself during my twenties having fun at various restaurants, cafes, and bars!

"La Promenade"  by Claude Monet



Everyone always LOVES the water lillies paintings by Monet but I love this one. It is ethereal, you can see movement by the wind against her dress, her hair. You can feel the cool breeze she is fighting against with her umbrella. Incredible!

"A Bar at the Folies Bergere"  by Edouard Manet

a bar at the folies bergere, Edouard Manet

So much of the reasons I love certain works are personal. They remind me of the years I have spent bartending or waiting tables at fine hotels and restaurants. Especially this one! I see the champange, the fine liquors, the oranges, the crystal chandelier! It brings back memories for me.

"Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte"  Georges Seurat



I love this Pointillism painting by Georges Seurat because of the subject matter, a Sunday at the Park with the ladies all dress in their finery. I also love the details, the monkey in the bottom, the dogs running about. the man smoking his pipe, a young girl smelling a bouquet of flowers, and the ladies with their sun umbrellas!  A perfect "snapshot" of a Victorian Sunday at the park!

"Self Portrait"  by Vincent Van Gogh



I love this self portrait in particular because of the colors that Vincent used and the strong brushstrokes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol