Skateboarding Anyone?

A couple years ago when John and I were living in Oley, PA, John came home one summer day with a carload of stuff he bought at an auction. Among the old dusty books and antique bric-a-brac was a skateboard with big knobby wheels. It was an “off road” skateboard meant to go down grassy slopes and hillsides. I was intrigued but he wanted to try it out first. Remembering my golden teenage skateboarding years, I grabbed it out of his hands determined to be the first to glide down the lawn!

“I used to do this when I was 16! Let me show YOU how it’s done!” … famous last words.

I stepped on that skateboard and went less than 1 foot … LESS THAN 1 FOOT … and flipped up head over heels in the air and landed on my right wrist HARD. I screamed out in pain. John ran over to me, exclaiming, “Marc! Oh my god, are you alright!” The look on his face was a little panicky as my wrist began swelling immediately.

Sprawled out on the driveway, I grabbed my wrist, now throbbing in severe pain. I couldn’t catch my breath! All I could do was moan and hold my wrist. Suddenly, I got up and lumbered over to the other side of the drive.

John commented, “Wow buddy! Work through the pain big guy! You’ll be alright.” He was impressed that I got to my feet so quickly.

“No... spider ... BIG spider over there on pavement!” was all I could shriek between groans and moans. A two inch long wolf spider was making its way across the drive and I was directly in his path.

Apparently John misconstrued my intense fear of wolf spiders for that of bravery. I hate spiders, especially wolf spiders.

Luckily, my wrist was not broken, just a severe sprain. I wore a cast for a month. My ego and pride were bruised by a two inch long wolf spider.

And come to think of it, I really sucked at skateboarding when I was 16.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life