Signs of Spring

As I am writing this, a light rain is falling outside. Easter evening is upon us and the cats are eagerly watching the birds at the feeder. Max and Moxie are chattering their jaws in frustration at the birds flying to and fro. The window is open, and although it is a bit chilly, the air is brisk enough to be refreshing. I poured myself a glass of red wine and figured I would type out some thoughts about the season.

For the first time since last fall, I drove with the windows down on Good Friday. The first day when you can do that, or open the windows to the house to air it out, truly reawakens you to the new season. I have begun making plans on what I want to do with the yard, what I want to grow, where I want to clean out, etc.

This was such a crazy winter that we never thought it would end. I called it the winter of a hundred small storms. We never got a snowfall of more than 6 to 8 inches but there just seemed to be so many of them!

On Friday night after bartending, I stopped by a friend's house for drinks and smelled a skunk that had recently sprayed. First one of the season. It must be that same skunk I always see diving into a drainage pipe by his house.

From the back bedroom on Saturday I heard the red crested pileated woodpecker squawking. I looked for him but he remained hidden. So he's back too. We have heard him knocking on trees behind us but no sightings yet. Just that loud recognizable squawk.

Back to those birds, we have just had a rush of them come back these past two weeks. Finally saw my first robin of the season. We've seen mockingbirds, cardinals, juncos, wrens, downy woodpeckers, chickadees, nut-thatches, and 2 sets of mourning doves.

I had to pick up extra birdseed because I thought they were going through it all until I caught a couple of squirrels tag-teaming the bird feeders on either side of the house! Argh! So I picked up this powder called "Squirrel Away" or something like that. You mix 1 teaspoon in with every 5 pounds of bird food. It is a hot pepper based powder which does not affect the birds but the squirrels hate it. Fingers crossed it works. I actually like the squirrels but I am tired of feeding them too.

Lastly, crocuses and daffodils are coming up I see. I think I will plant marigolds again. They always do well and seem to last well into the fall. A new season always brings hope and change. Even winter as you hope for the holidays. Between you and me, I'll take spring!

Comments

  1. Marc.... I hope your "squirrel away" works... I tried something similar when I lived in MD.... the little bastards loved it... maybe it's the MD squirrels... those "rats with furry tails" will knock you over to get to the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jack, it's official. The squirrels ate all the bird seed AND the "squirrel away." Next stop, Cabelas for the rifle! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol