Funeral Condolences


Last night, John and I attended the viewing of our good friend Ed's father in Minersville, PA.  Ed has a large family and it was comforting to see all of his 6 brothers and sisters in attendance.  Ed's father, Butch, passed away the weekend prior surrounded by his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. It was just how my Mom passed away back in 2009, surrounded by our family and it really brought back memories.

Ed and I hugged, got choked up, and I offered my condolences. I met Ed's mom, offered my condolences and said, "I'm Marc, I'm friends with Ed and Kim in the Lake I am so sorry for your family's loss." I said the same with his sisters. As I moved down the line, I met one of his brothers and we talked about him being back in the "old neighborhood."  He said it was bittersweet having everyone back at the family home a couple blocks away. I completely understood.

When my Mom passed and we had the memorial service in Lake Wynonah, Adam, Sheryl, and I saw family and friends which we hadn't seen in years.  These days, it is a shame that only weddings and funerals seem to reunite families. I know my siblings and I have made a concerted effort with success to see extended family in North Jersey and California. For it to be truly successful both sides have to make the effort. Our family now sees each other on a regular basis, not just at weddings and funerals.

I did not know Ed's father, but was touched after seeing all of the people who came out to pay their respects.  I came to the last family member in the receiving line, shook his hand firmly and as I had done with each one prior, stated, "I'm Marc, I'm friends with Ed and Kim in the Lake. I am so sorry for your family's loss."

The man in the black suit slightly smiled and said, "I'm the funeral director."
I began stuttering and blurted out, "Oh! Well you have a lovely funeral home!"

John pushed me from behind, shaking his head muttering, "You are SO embarrassing."
All I could do was say, "I'm sorry! Ed has a large family and I lost track of how many brothers I said hi to!"


Comments

  1. Ed and I are ROFLAO at this even though we already heard it. Well done Marcy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim. Glad to bring a smile to your faces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At times, I would have to agree with John, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol