Shrimp Creole



Mom's Shrimp Creole
Earlier in November, my sister Sheryl came out for the weekend and I decided to make one of my Mom's special dishes, Shrimp Creole, for her and John. This is a very basic recipe, like many of Mom's, which can be spiced up or added to. This was one of her fancy dishes that she made for guests when she entertained back in the 80's. She didn't make it that often for shrimp were considered pricey depending on how big they were. Hence, it was only a recipe for special occasions.



I like this recipe as it needs only a handful of ingredients: shrimp, tomato sauce or marinara, onions, peppers, celery, and whatever spices you would like to add. John and I went shopping that weekend for the ingredients at our local supermarket. I had a stalk of celery at home, but it had wilted and become as limp as a bad pickle so celery was the first item I was looking for. I came across stalks of celery and just didn't want to buy an entire stalk for the one recipe. I don't use it that often, don't snack on it, and have stopped drinking daily bloody marys. For awhile I convinced myself that potato vodka counted as a full day's veggie serving along with the tomato juice and celery. 

Anyway, I came across pre-chopped celery at a pretty reasonable price, $2.50, in a deli container, and figured it would save me a bit of time chopping it up. I searched for the smallest amount of celery and came across a packed container which was mispriced for 2 CENTS!!!  I showed it to John and asked, "Does this say what I think it says?"  He got real close and squinted at it as I had done for we both can't see writing unless it's up close. He said, "Do you think it will scan at 2 cents?" I replied, "Well if it doesn't, I am demanding it for 2 cents!"  Fast forward to self-checkout and we got the celery for 2 cents!

Two cents of celery (The entire container was jam packed!)

I spiced up Mom's recipe with red pepper flakes, added sliced mushrooms, and served it over red beans and brown rice.  It came out really well.  You can always add your own Creole or Cajun seasoning for that extra zing!


Shrimp Creole    Serves 4

1-2 lbs shrimp, fresh or frozen – cleaned
Green pepper – diced
Onion – chopped
Celery – diced
Tomato sauce
Salt – ¼ teaspoon
Pepper
Garlic powder – ¼ teaspoon
White rice

1. SautΓ© vegetables until tender.
2. Add tomato sauce and salt.
3. Add pepper and garlic powder.
4. Simmer 15 minutes.
5. Add uncooked or cooked shrimp.
6. Simmer 15 minutes (or less if shrimp is cooked).

Serve over rice. Nice with tossed salad and hot bread or rolls. -Mom-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life