Chicken Parmigiana

Tomato sauce splatters included. 
Sunday, August 24th, would have been my Mom's 72nd birthday.  The birthday of a loved one is always a tough day to get through. I went through her recipes and chose two to consider making in her honor:  homemade meatballs or chicken parmigiana.
I left it up to John and he chose the chicken. It is a good recipe, easy to do for a "school night."  In addition, it's also one that I have not made before.

Mom used to make this for us when we would visit her and my stepdad Barry at their home in Lake Wynonah. The breaded chicken, topped with a rich tomato sauce and tons of mozzarella cheese just filled you up. She paired it with a simple garden salad and garlic bread.  There was seldom room for dessert.

I copied the recipe down below as she wrote it. I did make a couple changes. The first being that I wasn't sure if she used a "pound of chicken breasts" or she wanted me to POUND the chicken breasts. Since the meal was for two people, I bought a couple pounds of chicken breast and pounded away to flatten them out. Problem solved and I worked out my frustrations with the meat mallet! Hahaha.


The second change was that after coating the chicken with bread crumbs, I baked it for 15 minutes before topping it with the tomato sauce so that the bread crumbs wouldn't fall off the chicken so easily. After the baking was completed, I pulled the chicken out of the oven and topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. You could use grated cheese instead if you wish.

And finally, I enjoyed the dinner with a 2013 French Bordeaux Rose by Baron Phillippe De Rothschold. It only sounds expensive but tastes wonderful.  I know in my video I said I was also going to open the Rex Goliath Shiraz but Mom would have frowned on me drinking the TWO bottles in one sitting. :)


Chicken Parmigiana by Abby Deeds

Mom's chicken parmigiana
Boneless chicken breasts
butter - pasta or tomato sauce
Italian bread crumbs
mozzarella cheese - shredded

1. pound chicken breasts
2. melt butter
3. dip chicken in butter
4. coat w/ bread crumbs

Put in baking dish
Top with sauce
Bake 1 hour at 350'F
Put cheese on top to melt

Comments

  1. Love the video! Nice tribute to your mom's classic dish.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life