Mom's Quick Marinara

The Ingredients!
Can a Jewish Mother make a good, possibly great quick marinara? You bet she can!

Now in the 70s and 80s, my Mom was more of a jarred tomato sauce type of gal. There wasn't too many option available at the local Pathmark supermarket. She did mix it up though, adding her own onions, garlic, peppers, and spices. She often browned ground beef and added it for meat sauce. That's what I grew up with and was always proud to call it my Mom's sauce.

But later, I was so happy to discover this recipe of hers while going through her recipe box. Now if you don't have an entire afternoon to boil your own tomatoes, peel them down, separate the seeds and water, and then blend them, this is a great quick marinara you can make within an hour. It comes out so much better than your average jarred sauce. It tastes fresher and you have the satisfaction of knowing that YOU made it and it's healthier for you too.  You can thank my Mom.


MOM's QUICK MARINARA by Abby Deeds


Make 4 cups
Mom's Quick Marinara in my antique Ironstone gravy boat.
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1-2 Tbsp of tomato paste (for a thicker sauce)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic (Um, I like MORE.)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste


1. Heat olive oil in medium sized saucepan.
2. Stir in chopped onion, saute for 8 minutes, stirring often
3. Stir in garlic, saute for 30-45 seconds (Did I say I like waaay more garlic?)
4. Stir in remaining ingredients, stir occasionally
(My hint: You can always add browned drained ground beef or turkey and or sauteed veggies!)
5. Check in 10 minutes, stir often
6. Salt/pepper to taste. Add more sugar if needed to cut down on acidity
7. For some heat, you can add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, stir well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol