10 Second Memory: You Bastard!

I came home one day from 1st grade in tears. My sister, Sheryl, 5 years older, came running over to me asking me what had happened. I started crying and related how a couple of big kids had come over and called me a bastard! I was so upset and I didn't even know what it meant!

My sister hugged me and comforted me. She told me it was alright and that the word just meant 'bad man.' 

Now ... the debate is still up in the air on whether my dear sister was merely trying to comfort me and steer me away from using the word OR she didn't know what the word meant herself. Sheryl is currently claiming ignorance of the entire event. Right .... LOL. 

For those of you that don't have a 25 pound Webster's Dictionary lying about, the word 'bastard' traditionally means 'a person born of parents not married to each other.' I am, as the definition goes, not a bastard. I don't even think those mean older kids knew what it meant.

Nevertheless, I was comforted by Sheryl and carried on with my afternoon snack of Nutter Butters and milk while watching Scooby Doo on TV.

The next day I went to school determined not to let the bullies bother me. And I didn't as my sister helped to instill a bit of confidence in me knowing that the word 'bastard' could not hurt me. 

Unfortunately, I ended up calling several classmates "You bastard!" thinking I was calling them a 'bad man.' Um ... THANK YOU SHERYL. 

I was sent to the Principal's office with my Mom being promptly called. The Principal calmly asked her why her child was calling half of his classmates 'bastards.'  Oh what a fun afternoon that was after school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol