New Projects, New Horizons

A fellow old soul urged me to share something which has been on my mind as of late. His advice has always been sound and after some consideration, I decided to listen to him and write this post. By doing so, I am giving myself a bit of a kick in the ass to keep moving on with this passion of mine:  writing!

I have come to a crossroads within my passion of writing. When I started this blog 5 years ago as almost an homage to my departed Mom, I wanted to document my life turning 40. I have notebooks filled with potential blog posts which I have not yet written. Some are just mere ideas or snippets of a memory. Others are fully fleshed out memories almost ready to post. They range anywhere from work, to play, to life, to relationships, to even a more private side of me that only close friends and family know. Some I may never publish, I am just not ready to get that personal with certain subjects in my life. Others are well ... LOL... just NOT that interesting. :)

I have included stories and anecdotes of where I have been, where I am presently, and where I hope to be. I guess you can file this post under the latter two categories.  First of all, once I reach 300 essays published on my blog (I have published 275), I am going to start researching how to transcribe my personal favorites or most popular into a manuscript form. So many of you have asked me about this and been kind enough to suggest it. Well, I am going to do some research on it and see if it is viable. With this in the works, I will seek out an agent to represent myself for possible publication.


New Beginnings
The second "project" I am considering, is writing a memoir of my years in the hotel and restaurant business. I have wanted to do this for awhile and maybe the time has come to give it a go! Throughout my Philly years at Houlihans, the Omni Hotel, the City Tavern, the Ritz-Carlton, and catering, I have kept notes and lists of celebrity run-ins, experiences, mayhems, misses, and fun times. I have detailed experiences of the good times to the bad. An outline is already fleshed out, I just need to get my ass in gear and begin connecting the dots.

I will still be writing essays for the blog but not as many as before. I am also going to complete the blog project of my mother's favorites recipes and am actually pretty close to doing so! The unfortunate part is that I am now getting into the "baking" recipes which is definitely not my forte'. You can expect plenty of burnt cookies and under cooked pies, breads, and cakes.

Lastly, life is about the journey and our subsequent experiences along the way. I am on that journey still learning how little I acually know and being kind of alright with it. I am constantly being reminded that wisdom comes from the experiences and you can't buy it at Walmart or Amazon. But once you have it, it is one of the greatest gifts. With that being said, I am learning that it is also OK to move from one project to another.


Wisdom

I have no current plans to end this blog and have no desire to at this point. But if in the future I choose to end it so that I may pursue other projects, I am OK with that. This blog has been a wonderful experience for me. It has taught me that I can write, write well (most of the time. LOL), and have fun do so. It has been a tremendously humbling experience to have people read what I post. I am truly thankful.

Thanks to the young "old soul" who pushed me into writing this post. Sometimes even the "youngsters" have some good sound advice. (((Shudder at the thought)))

Comments

  1. I look forward to your blogs Marc and I will continue to enjoy your writings. I have used some of your mom's recipes and - yum! yum! You are a good man. God Bless.
    Morag

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol