30+ Things to Invest In During Your Life

Image Link
Throughout my 45 years, I've learned a couple of things along the way.

There are things in your life in which you absolutely should invest in. They can extrinsic in nature such as better, higher quality objects including clothing, tools, household items, and your car just to name a few.

They can also be intrinsic investments. These are related to your inner self, your morals and values. These type of investments tend to foster not only your physical health but your mental health as well. A lot of them have long term benefits.

Now there are certain things in your life that you can cut corners on. For instance, while shopping at a Rite - Aid or CVS, chances are that their products are just as good as the name brand ones. Vitamins or over-the-counter medicine for instance, look at the ingredients label and you will see that the drug store brands contain the same ingredients in usually the same order.

Then there are other things which you cannot cut corners on like a good vodka or Champagne. Nothing beats a Grey Goose martini except maybe YOUR favorite vodka. How's that for diplomacy? LOL. For Champagne, we all know Dom Perignon is not a $7.99 bottle but at least it doesn't taste like one either. A 2005 bottle of Dom will put you back around $170.00. For once in your life if you can ever afford it, splurge and sip on some Dom. (Or do like my dear Ritz-Carlton friend Wendy and I did one late evening and snag a bottle after an event during our Ritz days and drink it in her upstairs office! Being so bad never tasted so good!)

In my opinion, wine is actually an exception to this rule. You can buy a great bottle of wine for $10.00 or less. Of course you spend a fortune on a bottle of Opus One Cabernet and it's incredible. But you can also spend $7.99 on a bottle of Rex Goliath Cabernet and enjoy it just as much.

So onto my list of thirty-something random "things" that I feel you should invest in.

Your hair: Get good hair cut. It also doesn't have to be a an expensive hair salon to be a good cut. I go to the Port Clinton Barber Shop where Frank the Marine buzz cuts my hair for $8.00 and he does a pretty damn good job. (At least that's what people are telling me, LOL.)

Dishwashing liquid: Nothing annoys me more than going through half a bottle of watered down generic dishwashing liquid in  a sink full of dishes. I feel that this is a perfect example of when the brand name stuff works better and lasts much longer. Search for coupons and you can get it cheaper.

Laundry detergent: Same as above. The cheaper generic versions tend not to clean as well. I think it's because they have a thinner, more water soluble consistency. Lemme know down below if you feel otherwise.

Bath towels and sheets: Higher count means softer. Also, go for fluffy towels. No one likes drying your butt with a thin rough towel that feels like sandpaper, unless that's your thing. You can always get cheaper deals on higher quality towels and sheets at places like Kohl's, Marshalls, or Ross Stores.

Pillows: OK I mentioned towels and sheets above. This goes along with them. Get a decent pillow, not one that will sag and flatten in the middle after a month. You need some firmness to it. I have one regular style pillow and one memory foam to contour to my head and neck. With pillows, you get what you pay for. Don't forget to check to see if the pillow contains goose feathers. I'm allergic and learned the hard way!

Tools: Invest in a good set of basic tools and know how to use them. Include the following: a hammer, a Phillips head screwdriver, a flathead screwdriver, a monkey wrench. Ya know what? Just follow this link: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/g1760/50-tools-everyone-should-own/ But maaaaybe 50 is a little excessive. LOL

A good snow shovel:  Go through the motions at the store. If you purchase one at Lowes or Home Depot, it shouldn't cost you more than $20-$30 at the most. Your back will thank you for it.

Socks: Why go cheap on socks when they are going to fall apart after 5 or so washes? Get a nicer quality and they will last much longer through repeated washings.

Q-tips:  They don't even have to be the Q-tips brand! Try the store brand cotton swabs but make sure they have the paper or wood rods and have plenty of cotton on either end. The plastic bendy ones suck and the more cotton on the end the better. No one likes poking their ear and the cotton helps prevent this. But it also just feels better! Ahhhhhh.....

Good deodorant/antiperspirant: Cheap stuff will make you smell. I learned the hard way. I was called Pig Pen that week from Peanuts? Remember? Don't skimp on this. The cheap stuff won't last and will possibly melt in the container during the summer, You'll stink. 'Nuff said.

Lightbulbs:  People are now pushing the longer lasting energy efficient bulbs. I try and look for a mid-range priced bulb. It is annoying to have to replace light bulbs which go out after a month of continued use. I don't go for the really expensive ones though as I'm not at a place in my life where I really feel I need a lightbulb to be around after I'm dead.

Makeup: This one is from my sister. If you use dollar store makeup, expect your face to break out overnight. Get quality stuff which contains the words noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic.

Cologne or perfume:  Get the cheap knock off stuff and you are gonna smell like a $2.00 hooker or gigolo. Or at the very worst, your Nana. Buy the most expensive cologne or perfume you can afford. Sample scents and see what works for you. Ask the clerks at the counters for their advice BUT get a smaller bottle to start off. The expensive stuff will last longer and a little goes a LONG way. Use for special occasions and above all, DO NOT bathe in it!

Underwear: Get something fun and comfortable that fits well. They don't all have to be boring tighty-whities! My favorite pair is a tartan plaid square cut with bunny rabbit skulls provocatively placed. If you'd like to see me in them, please send $10 to Marc Haynes at ... On second thought, private message me. :)

Moisturizer:  My awesome Mom taught me this one! Cheap moisturizers does not last. Get a mid-priced one and you'll use less of it while is lasts longer on your skin. I cannot stand having dry hands and I am constantly slathering my hands up (no jokes please). No more cheap stuff!

Tin foil:  Cheap tin foil will rip too easily. It is thinner and generally of a lesser quality than the higher end stuff. If you want your tin foil to last or you are using it in your freezer or on your grill, you are gonna have to put out a couple more bucks for the betters stuff.

Coffee: I'm not talking about the coffee you buy for your office. Hit up the generic crap for that. Spend a little more and get some great quality coffee for yourself at home. The better coffees have all of these flavor nuances which will astound you. Savor it. Have a basic coffee for during the week and then that special coffee for the weekends.

A great pair of jeans:  Get a pair that shows off that ass. You've worked hard for it, might as well flaunt it. But seriously, spend some money, invest in a great classic pair of denim jeans and watch them mold to your body over the years. The denim softens and will start to hug every curve of your body. Sounds sexual? It should. A great pair of jeans makes you feel and look sexy. But note, this doesn't mean you have to invest a fortune. I have paid little as $40.00 on sale for a pair of awesome Levi Strauss jeans that are one of my favorite pairs now. Look for sales and read reviews of the best jeans out there. Here is a blog devoted to just that! http://thejeansblog.com/ In addition, a great pair of Levi's will never go out of style.

Messenger bags, purses, luggage, etc:  Buy quality and it will last for years. I go for classic looks over trendy styles. My sister gave me a new messenger bag for Christmas. It is canvas, constructed well with tight stitching. I want it to last a long time and I know this one will. The brand? Levi Strauss. It's as well constructed as their blue jeans.

A nice meal: Once a year at least, take out that honey or stud OR just treat YOURSELF! You work hard and you know you deserve it. Go out to the nicest restaurant in your area and order something you wouldn't normally order, like lobster, shrimp, steak, or the most expensive veggie platter (if that's your thing). :) We aren't getting any younger and we need to pamper and treat ourselves more. Plus, you expand your horizons by trying new and exciting foods. Try Thai if you never have. I can guarantee they have chicken on the menu if you wanna take baby steps! Wanna try Japanese but don't like sushi? Try tempura chicken or vegetables, lightly fried in a tempura batter. YUM. Me? Hold the veggies and I'll take the steak.

Cooking: Invest in a good basic cookbook. It doesn't need to Martha-what's-her-name. I am not doubting that she is great but you can start off with a Rachel Ray cookbook or even good ole' Betty Crocker one. Start learning cooking measurements and how to use your oven. The feeling of cooking a successful meal is an incredible feeling of accomplishment!

Quality candles:  They will burn longer, smell better, and give off less smoke. IKEA has great tealights and votives which last much longer than your cheaper 99-cent store variety. Ever notice how cheaper candles don't smell like they are supposed to? More perfumey and just disgusting? I once bought a generic vanilla candle and I swear it smell like a wet dog. (And I own cats.) I just have to say it ...Yankee Candles are still #1 in my book.

Matches: One needs good matches to light your good quality candles. The giveaway ones from the bars are fine in pinch but invest in a long handle lighter to protect those fingers or buy some good quality wooden wooden long handle matches for the fireplace or grill. As always, keep them away from the pyro-playful kiddies.

First aid kit:  Invest in a good one or make up one yourself to include at least the follow:  good, quality band-aids, gauze, first aid cream, antibiotic ointment, antiseptic wipes, first aid tape, scissors, and latex gloves. Check out the American Red Cross website for more ideas:  http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit/anatomy Your boo-boo will thank you later.

Condoms:  Don't buy condoms from a truck stop, bar, or diner. Suck up the pride and embarrassment and buy quality condoms at Rite-Aid or CVS.  My day to day job is a child support officer, If you use a lesser quality condom, maybe I'll see you in my office when the mother files a case against you?

Paints:  When painting your home, read paint reviews and pick the correct paint for that particular room. Do you need it waterproof for the bathroom? Is it interior or exterior? Do you want a flat paint  for the walls and a glossy one for the trim? Research what you need and then buy a good quality paint from a reputable store. In addition, ask questions! The people who work in paint departments know more than the average person. If you don't know, ask. Use them for their knowledge.

Music: Invest in a great music library. I don't care whether it's LPs, CDs, or MP3s. (Now 8 tracks and cassette tapes?  I draw the line! LOL) Don't just stick to one area. Branch out and discover others types of music such as R&B, the Standards, classic rock, jazz, disco, doo-whop. punk, classical, etc. The nice thing about all of the music streaming sites and online radios is that you can listen to different types of music without having to first buy anything.

Alternately, go see a band live!! OMG, LIVE MUSIC? Is that still around??? Why yes, friends it is. There are so many venues out there where you can experience the thrill of heart and soul pumping bass without shelling out hundreds of dollars for tickets! I'm seeing a good friend perform in the next week with 4 other bands and paying $10.00 per person. You can't beat that! Your local bars and taverns will often host bands on the weekends. Just check out your local papers or online.

Good Scotch, cognac, or whisky:  A good Scotch or whisky is usually smoother. You taste more flavor, less alcoholic bite. You sip it, DON'T guzzle. (My friends you know who you are. And stop pointing the finger at ME!)

Friendships:  Friendships need cultivation. They need give and take. This means picking up the phone and talking to your friends. Friendships are not solely be based on texting. Texting is fine but we are doing too much of it. You need face to face time whether it be drinks out, shopping together, grabbing a bite to eat, or even just catching a movie. Constant texting is not investing in your friendships.

Your home:  Homes age, paint chips, corners get dinged up, floors dull, walls get scuffed. Your home is a reflection of yourself. Invest in your home and you are investing in yourself and your pride. It doesn't have to be adding on an addition. Keep it neat, clean, and organized. (A never ending project for me. LOL)

Your kids: I don't have kids so I'm giving out advice based on what I see my my brother Adam and his wife Teresa do. Invest in education of course but also invest in their life experiences. Take them to museums, take them outside on a hike or camping. Get them to find an activity they like and encourage them to pursue it. It could be sports, music, art, etc. There has to be something other than video games. Show them what culture is. Expose them to different foods, different music, different films. Not every movie is an action movie. Spend quality time with them. Plan a game night. Have them help make dinner. There is so much out there to do with your children! Me? I'll take my cats.

Culture: This goes along with the above. Invest in culture for yourself! It could be a different museum once a month, or going to see the symphony (even if its for the Looney Tunes or Star Wars night), See a foreign or an old film at a local small theater. Catch a local play or musical, it doesn't have to by NYC (http://mediatheatre.org/)  My point is for you to get out and expose yourself to culture. It can be a Fall festival, an Italian or Greek festival, or a 4th of July parade. There are tons of stuff always going on. You just need to look online or in your local paper in the community section. Not everything happens on TV.

Pets: Invest in your pets in terms of time. If you don't have time to invest in your pets, don't have them please. They need love and attention. They need stimulation. PLAY with them! Also invest in their health. Take them for checkups so they live a long and healthy life. They will reward you with years of companionship and unconditional love.

Your vehicle: Dad always said get your oil changed on time and he wasn't just blowing smoke. It will extend the life of your car and it's engine. Get your tires rotated and keep them filled! They will last longer and improve your gas mileage. Also, get good tires, not $50.00 a tire special you sometimes see run in ads. Those tires are crap. I learned that the hard way one year. Listen, no one likes car payments. They suck completely. So why would you skimp on vehicle maintenance when you are paying for something so expensive? You are paying for something you want to last for as long as possible between repairs and basic maintenance will help that.

Your health: Those who know me know that I take this seriously. My mother died young 6 1/2 years ago and it shell-shocked me. I decided last January to invest in my health and be in the best shape of my life by my 45th birthday in June of this past year. I got there and it has been a great journey. I have realized you cannot get into shape by dieting alone. In order to get into long term optimal shape, you need to have proper diet AND exercise. It is a lifestyle change, one that hopefully will pay off in the long term. My body still creaks and groans in the morning but I sleep better, get up quicker, and have more energy.

Lastly, This may just be a good financial investment for your future or for that matter, the world's: air plastics. Here is what it is all about: http://newlight.com/  I just find the concept interesting. :)

I know I may have forgotten some. Then again, my blog, my list. LOL Are there any others that you can suggest?


Comments

  1. Great post, Marc! Good advice and a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really good and hear your voice as I read it. I can't find the like button!?!? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marty! I love that u "hear" my voice while reading it. That's what I am going for! Thank u!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Marc. As usual, very interesting post. I am so looking forward to moving to the lake as just being there encourages me to exercise and the different groups make that easy for everyone. I could add a lot to that, the jeans for Matthew, Abercrombie Fierce (as my granddaughter calls it "apple crumble"- just for fun of course.). I could go on but I will just say - thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morag, I always appreciate your comments. Hope to see you soon. I like that, "Apple Crumble" LOL.

      Delete
  4. Great article/Blog. So many great suggestions. Good music choices too, but the Punk & Hard Metal are out (I'll leave the LOUD music to someone else), Anything you need ear plugs to listen to is bad for your hearing. Most of what you wrote about I can use or should use, since I'm getting older than Dirt, it's something to think about. Again, great article my friend love reading your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skip. :) Looking forward to seeing you this year at Adams!

      Delete
  5. Best memory of my life. We deserve vintage Bubbles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol