Bird Watching in my Yard

This past Saturday morning, I poured myself a cup of coffee and began staring out the kitchen window, thinking about my fun evening last night with friends, and what the day held before me. My mind wandered as I contemplated life. I sipped my coffee. Thoughts turned to a tomato and cucumber salad I wanted to make later. Chores to do, errands to run. Fitting in the gym somewhere along the line.

I began to watch the birds and butterflies zip between the oak tree, the pussy-willow tree, the bird bath and the butterfly bush. I spend 15 minutes just relaxing and watching the birds.

I gazed out finding myself smiling. About 5-6 cat birds hopped from branch to branch in the pussy-willow tree, each taking a turn in the bird bath. Feathers ruffling, water splashing,. They seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves as much as I was enjoying watching them. They'd hop out, and preen themselves on one of the branches, shaking off excess water.

Butterflies were all over the butterfly bush, competing for spots with a trio of small orange-grey bluebirds. I found alter that they were indeed Eastern blue birds. A solitary yellow American goldfinch flew from the oak tree to the butterfly bush and then up to the tops of the trees in the back of the yard. I also had a pair of red headed house finches in the pussy-willow, doing their best to annoy the cat birds. And a couple of robins hunted for worms in the grass.

I wanted to remember this perfect moment. I really just enjoyed it. Sometimes you need to take the moment, lose yourself, live in that moment, and just observe what it happening around you. You'd be amazed at what you will observe.

Comments

  1. I envy the variety of flyers you have in your yard. I seem to have only sparrows but I like their chirpiness and cheekiness.
    Enjoy the time together with your feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I feel more relaxed now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relaxed until you start writing some more horror stories. LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life