My Twin Won $3500


Definition: DoppelgΓ€nger (from Wikipedia)
Dante Gabriel RossettiHow They Met Themselves, watercolor, 1864

From Wikipedia:
"In fiction and folklore, a doppelganger (German origins) is a look-alike or double of a living person, sometimes portrayed as a paranormal phenomenon, and is usually seen as a harbinger of bad luck. In other traditions and stores, they recognize one's 'double-goer' as an evil twin. Doppelgaenger is a German word which also means double walker."



They say we all have twins in this world. Some consider them doppelgangers, your evil twin creating havoc somewhere across the globe. That couldn't be true ... but could it?  Or maybe it's just a genetic coincidence. Could there be someone, who looks exactly like you, with similar mannerism, features, likes and dislikes? Could the world be just a world of various duplicates of 8 billion people?

Either way, there are websites devoted to them. Usually the easiest ones to find are the celebrity look-alikes. There's a photo of a man who bears an uncanny resemblance to George Clooney that is making the rounds these days. He is a Turkish man photographed on a bus going about his business. Is he the evil George Clooney? If George is ever face to face with this man, with there be a "Battle Royal" between the Clooney lookalikes of the world? I can see it now!

The stronger one will take over Clooney's career! But wait! What if George is the evil twin trying to take over this nice Turkish man's career as a shop keeper or government worker? If they ever come face to face, would the world explode? I shudder at the thought of the end of the world being brought about by George Clooney. OK OK,  I digress, back to me and my doppelgangers!

George Clooney and his doppelganger? (From TMZ.,com)


Spicoli
Keifer
Years ago and by years, unfortunately I mean decades, I was told I bore a resemblance to a young Sean Penn. I wish! My nickname was Marcus never Spicoli. I was also told I looked like Keifer Sutherland. OK ... I never saw it. I know my chin bore a resemblance to Jay Leno's but that's about all.


Chin
In 2013, another doppelganger of mine was spotted by my friend Donna at the Hilton in Vienna, Austria while she was on a family vacation. He was younger and skinnier than me but bore a strong resemblance, and ironically working the front desk at the hotel. I have also worked in the hotel business during my 20's and early 30's. Unfortunately, I lost the picture of my Austrian twin. You'll have to take my word for it ... and that I'm better looking.

People have compared me to Jonathan Karl, the Chief White House Correspondent and political journalist on ABC News. I think I only look like him during my chunky times of the year (sorry Karl). He is a journalist and I write my blog. He also grew up in South Dakota and I still have extended family out there. Otherwise, not much of a connection.

Jonathan Karl
And still others think I bear a resemblance to Dan Bylsma, the former Pittsburgh Penguins head coach from 2009-2014 and current Buffalo Sabres head coach since 2015. He's a bigger dude (like 6'1'') but the same age as me, born in 1970. I also like hockey. LOL J  Again, the resemblance is more when I put on my winter weight.

Coach Bylsma
I was told the other night that there is a bartender at a bar in Berks County which looks like me too. I also bartend. Hmmm…. My friend who told me this really thought that either I was now bartending there or my brother was. I think I'm gonna have to seek out this guy and see how much we look like each other.

Lastly, the ENTIRE idea for this blog came about by a text from my friend Richelle in Lake Wynonah. She was watching the TV show Celebrity Name Game with the host Craig Ferguson and she saw me, or rather someone who was named MARC as well! And why are they always skinnier! GRRRR!

I was blown away. I thought the pic she sent me was altered on the computer. There was my name, spelled the same way, captioned underneath some dude in a sweater vest wearing thick rimmed  glasses. The mannerisms were oddly … familiar. I can also be quite excitable when I win larges sums of money. OK, I can be quite excitable in general. LOL

To be honest, this latest doppelganger had my head spinning. Just creepy and eeire to think that there are people who look so much like me living different lives in this world. I had once said JOKINGLY that I wanted to take out anyone else named Marc Haynes so that my standings on Google search would improve dramatically. Now I also have to worry about those that look like me? Egads, that's just too much! I think I'll just share the world with the rest of these Marc Hayneses and look-alikes. I already have too much on my plate.

But to the Marc that won the $3500 on Celebrity Name Game, one question ... Brother, can you spare a dime?  I mean after all, we are twins!



Blogger's NOTE: I do not own any of these pictures. They are borrowed from online.

Comments

  1. LOL! Great post. Uncanny how similar they look to you. Although having a double may explain some things from college...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life