Sick and the BRAT Diet

(NOT MY PIC)


With trepidation, I have been reading about my sick friends on Facebook. Some have even done selfies in the hospital wearing masks! Now THAT's selfie dedication. LOL. But seriously, at work, some sicky thing has been going through one of the units. I have been spraying down my computer and door knobs with Lysol, using plenty of hand sanitizer, washing my hands frequently, and relegating my clients to "separate" pens for signing documents. I seriously do! Working in social services exposes you to tons of people with who knows possibly what. I can't afford to be sick!

I read that the Lehigh Valley Hospital has set up flu tents. It is becoming a cause for concern. The CDC states that the flu epidemic has not yet peaked. You hear of of dozens of children across the country extremely ill from the flu or have died!

According to ABCNews.com: "The CDC's latest incluenza report shows that at least 53 children have died from the flu this season, including 16 just last week.

This doesn't even include people catching colds or sinus infections. Obviously, if you're sick, you should be staying home. I know that's not possible for some depending on the position. Just realize though, that if you are sick and at work, you risk infecting your entire office.

I was sick twice in December and early January with a reoccurring sinus infection. After a bout of antibiotics, I finally rid if from my system. Before that, I had a really good healthy run, being sick only way back in August 2016. I take care of myself for the most part and stay healthy by good diet, exercise, vitamins, and getting my sleep. Burning the candle at both ends brings down your immune system. I'll stress it again, you need your rest and sleep.

SKELETOR! 
I remember getting mononucleosis back when I was 11 years old. I spent four longs weeks home from school, each day rising in my bedroom to then spend the day in my parent's huge bed, drifting in and out of sleep while watching endless TV. Mom would come in and watch the "soaps" each afternoon. I became pretty good at naming all the characters in my Mom's soap operas whether I like it or not! Luke, Laura, Scorpio, and the Cassadine clan on "General Hospital". Ha-ha! I knew them all! 😊

She and Dad bought me books and puzzles to help pass the time. One afternoon, she came in with a "Masters of the Universe" Skeletor toy action figure! I was so excited. I still have him in a box somewhere in the attic. I remember the happiness of that day like it was yesterday. Minus the mono of course. Ha-ha. It's one of my favorite memories and was always a favorite toy of mine after that.

Mom taught me a lot about taking care of myself when I am sick. Drink plenty of liquids. Chicken soup (Jewish penicillin) really does help you. Get your rest. Invest in good tissues, soft toilet paper, and VICKS Vapor Rub. And if you have stomach issues, follow the BRAT diet.

One of my friends asked me the other week what the BRAT diet was. I was shocked that she had not heard of it. I thought it was universally known. I guess not but the concept is pretty basic. You eat only certain foods which will not aggravate your sensitive stomach and system.  It's kinda blah but it's very easy on the stomach until your intestinal system balances itself out again.

The BRAT diet consists of Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. Pretty simple, huh? Forget the curry, forget the jalapeno poppers, forget the chili con carne, forget those hot wings and pretty much anything fried. Once you follow the BRAT diet for a couple days, start introducing other non-spicy or non-acidic foods into your diet. It's all about calming your system.

The BRAT diet also works for the first couple days after food poisoning or post surgery. But honestly, as much as I swear by the BRAT diet, I worship my Mom's chicken soup recipe, which actually was handed down from my Nana. Jewish Penicillin is the bomb when you're sick!

Here's my blog on my Mom's Chicken Soup:
http://frazzledatforty.blogspot.com/2014/04/moms-chicken-soup.html

Take care of yourself! Spring is just a less than 6 weeks away!
Remember, if you do not get better, get your arse over to the Doctor!
















Comments

  1. Another good one. Readers take heed. I went on to read the chicken soup one as I love chicken soup. You referenced "soup chicken." Is that a small whole chicken? X Morag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Doctor Haynes. Especially for the Jewish Penicillin recipe. Stay healthy and stay well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol