Childhood Influences


"Mom's Carpenters"

I was driving into work yesterday morning and was kinda just over the news. I get like that every now and then. Just tired of hearing about the ongoing politics, terrorism, and other ugly stuff taking over our world. I just sometimes need to turn it off. More sad and disappointing than anything else.

Now a couple weeks ago, I picked up three CDs at a thrift store so I figured I'd give them a listen. YES, I still listen to CDs so you Millennials can just hold your collective tongues. I can feel your eyes rolling at me. 😏

Two CDs were popular hits from 1960 and 1961 because I wanted to hear the music my Mom listened during her later high school years. Some pretty cool stuff. I like exposing myself to different genres of music. I feel it brings me closer to her in a way.

The other CD I picked up was "Carpenters Gold", a two CD set of the greatest hits of that 70s soft pop duo The Carpenters. This was something which was played quite often at home by my Mom.

I popped that CD into the player and started humming along while miles of Route 78 sped by. Before I knew it, I began singing (quite badly) some of the words. Another couple miles and I was belting out each verse.  Where did the memories of these songs come from? I am continuously amazed at the ability of the human mind to remember obscure thoughts or memories from so long ago that I have not thought about in literally decades.

I can remember the words to over a dozen Carpenter songs from the 70s that I haven't heard in decades but I cannot remember where I hid my grandfather's watch in my home nor can I remember dozens of similar passwords.

Why is this?

Is it because these songs were played over and over again by my mother during the 70s? Is this why I can sing along with my Dad's favorite group the Moody Blues or belt out Fleetwood Mac at the drop of a hat?

Is this why I always preferred Dad's hamburgers to Beef Wellington or Mom's baked mac n' cheese to truffle mac n' cheese? Sure the fancy alternatives are incredible but I wasn't raised on them. I KNOW my Mom's mac n' cheese. Memories of happy family meals flood my mind with each savory bite.

Is this why I was bit by the antique bug early on? Is this why I count a small bronze elephant from my Nana and an Art Deco letter opener from my Grandfather Leslie as two of my most prized possessions? (The elephant has a missing tusk, too. Never got the story on that one.)

I pay particular reverence to those antiques which came from my family. My Mom and Dad instilled upon me the importance of family heirlooms. I cherish them.

My past influences help shape my decisions and continue to define who I am as an adult. I don't question it  much anymore. It just is. I am moved by it and respect those influences as I would respect any wise sage advice.

I am frugal. I am influenced by my mother stretching every penny during the 70s. I love the holidays, further influenced by my parents desire to have me grow up with an appreciation of other religions and their celebrations. I am artistic, fostered by my father's influences as an artist and art professor as well as frequent trips to galleries and museums as a child. I grew up close with my siblings and I still am. They are my influences. But this is me. You have your own experiences which have shaped you.

YOU are made up of these influences. Your mother cooked with you at her side. You are influenced by that. Your father took you hunting as a child. You are influenced by that. You grew up watching football with your family. You are influenced by that. WE are made up of these experiences and influences from our childhood. Live through them, breathe through them.

RECOGNIZE them and begin as adults to appreciate these influences if you already haven't. They have shaped you into the wonderfully storied and many layered human being that you are today.

And I still cannot remember where that gold watch is hidden ... BUT I have remembered where I hid the combination to the safe to find my computer passwords!

Until the next time...


Comments

  1. Loved your thoughts Marco-thanks for sharing them with us!!! You continue to deliver a wonderful insight into your mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great one. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poignant as usual Marco! Love these documented memories. Hugs, Big Sis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol