Password Craziness



Is anyone else is just so tired of this password craziness?

I consider myself to be an fairly intelligent fellow with a pretty decent memory. I can remember way back in 1973 the first time I drank apple juice from an actual glass and not a sippy cup. I can also remember when I climbed out over the bars of my crib-bed that year and wandering into the living room, much to my mother's shock. I also remember my telephone numbers I grew up with back in the 70s and 80s: 609-468-5250 and 609-468-3423.

However I find myself struggling to remember are all of those passwords I now have, including security questions and pictures, just to access any number of a dozens websites I may use on a weekly basis! I recently audited my list of passwords to see how crazy all of this had become. I saw about 30 combinations of various numbers, symbols and words which left my head spinning.

Experts in computer security /IT state that you should not use the same password for each website. I get that. If your information is compromised for one, then you are compromised for all. It starts to get a bit ridiculous though.

It is suggested that you combine them with numbers, capital letters and symbols. I think to myself, did I use an asterisk or ampersand for this one? Capital or no capital letters?

There are people that use Password1, Password2, Password3, etc. Then there are the people who use 123456. Smart move, expect to get hacked Einstein.

Experts also suggest just having one randomly made. Whaaat? At 47, I DON'T DO RANDOM. I need everything well laid out for me, planned, and organized just to get through  my weeks. Oh don't forget the websites that now text a 4 digit pin to your phone just to get access! OMG!

I use ten operating systems at work which require ten different passwords. Several of them are state-wide systems with an extra level of security: With my job though, all are warranted of course. It just adds to my level of annoyance.

At home, I have a list of important websites with the different passwords in my safe. I get anxiety because I'm afraid I will forget the combo to the safe. So I wrote the combo down and put it somewhere safe. The combo to the safe is in a safe place. But the problem is that the other day I forgot where the safe place was. πŸ˜•

Every couple months, if I can find it, I go through the password list and change them all up. I update the list and hide it again. And the process starts all over again.

One of the websites I use requires a first password and user name, then click through a couple screens, then answer two security questions, approve an image of a puppy, and then put in another different password! Just crazy. I have another website which I cannot use the same password as the previous past 30 passwords! I am running out of combinations of pets and family members for that one. I think I will start using my neighbor's names. Hello Charlotte and Leah! Ha-ha-ha.

At least now on your smart phone you can use a finger print detector or facial scanner. But if you are in bad lighting or your hands are sweaty, you better remember that damn 4 digit pin code!

Some phones also allow you to create a pattern you can swipe. I gave up the pattern password one evening after a couple shots of Fireball. For the life of me I couldn't swipe the correct pattern. It was the letter 'M'. Now I am back to the finger print detector coupled with the pin code.

We hear constantly about the security breaches through major financial institutions, credit companies or email servers and think "Why bother?" Maybe I should just use "Marc's_password" for everything. LOL I don't know.

I feel that if I try and make it somewhat difficult, it will make it that much tougher for your average hacker to get my info. OR I am just making myself go crazy. Hmmm, maybe I should send the hackers my therapist bill.







Comments

  1. One of many reasons to go off the grid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, when I was still working, I had to change my password every 90 days and could use any of the last 10 passwords. Now my Military password must change every 6 months, and I can't use any of the last 5 passwords.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPOT ON. it's very frustrating, especially when "experts" recommend changing your passwords at least once every 6 months if not more often. OMG.I try using family and friends first names, mixing upper and lower cases, symbols and the date. Despite all of that.... I still have been hacked. I just was the fingers of every hacker to burn off and crumble very painfully. Bastards!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol