Insecurity in the Gym

"Image from Magplanet.com"


Nothing holds you back more than you're own insecurities.

I wish I could claim that quote but I cannot. I tried to research it online but it seems like everyone has said it. It has been claimed by several famous and not so famous people. I will be happy though to pass it along...

I am usually tough as nails. I can have the confidence of a lion king. But I have my insecurities too. It hits you at the most inopportune times. I am fine speaking in a public setting and conquer those butterflies with ease. I get none when striding into a crowded bar or party. I am usually the first in my group if they need me to be. I ask questions with no fear.

But sometimes, when you least expect it, that monster of insecurity rises up and takes over. Two times in recent memory come to mind in which it has happened occurred ironically at the same place, the gym. Let me recount them to you in hopes of you realizing that you are not alone.

The first time began when I joined my new gym Anytime Fitness almost a year ago. I had worked out at my previous gym Flex Fitness quite comfortably for several years. I knew the ins and outs of the equipment. Had established my routine hitting hit after work. I knew pretty much anyone who came in to work out. This complacency allowed me to work out with ease but also set me up for quite a shock when I was forced to join a new gym due to Flex Fitness closing.

Like the first day of school, I entered the gym, eyes quickly scanning the room looking to see if I knew anyone. I saw no one and about a dozen faces who glanced blankly at me. OK this will be fun I thought to myself sarcastically.

I figured I wouldn't lift initially and just do some cardio to get used to my surroundings. Slowly after a week of some light workouts and an "official" tour by one of the workers, I become more comfortable and at ease in my new gym. I had to keep telling myself and believing that I deserved to be here as much as the big muscle guys lifting 100 pd dumbbells! One of my new favorite sayings from a new friend comes to mind, "Fake it till ya make it!"

This young twenty-something worker showed me around the different rooms and answered my questions about some new equipment I had never worked out on before. He was a big help. He asked me how I liked it and I was honest about my apprehension coming to a new gym. He said, "Don't be nervous. You're in pretty good shape for someone in their 30s." I replied, "30s??" I laughed. I appreciated the compliment especially with me approaching 48 next month ya crazy youngster!

When you are younger, you work out for looks. I was no different. I now work out for healthy heart, body, mind and soul. As you get older you realize that is much more important than the superficial side of working out. I soon got over my insecurities and plunged in a regular routine working out with confidence next to much bigger and younger guys.  I deserved to be at that gym and I stuck with it.

Come the holidays this past year, my lifting took a nose dive. Coupled with getting sick from reoccurring sinus infections, I struggled at the gym. I kept up the cardio but the lifting waned. I think I started suffering from a minor bout of seasonal affective disorder as well (AKA winter blues).

Now fully in the Spring, I began to finally feel like my old self again with regards to working out. I was really only maintaining during the winter. It feels good to be making gains again. Once I started lifting though, there was that monster of insecurity again, always peeking over my shoulder, making me feel inadequate compared to the other guys.

How do I deal with it besides "faking it till ya  make it"?  I pysch myself up. I continue to tell myself I deserve to be there. I block out others and the excess noise by listening to music. I ignore others. Now not to the point of being rude, I just don't socialize. I say hi to people, but I focus on myself. I am the reason I am there!

You are worth it. You deserve to be there to work out and be the best you can be. If this former introvert now nerd-jock can do it, so can you!

Don't get held back by insecurities which can be just as easily conquered as they are debilitating. Rise above them. It takes some mental work but you can do it.



Comments

  1. Great post, Marc! I have felt this way before. And yes, you deserve to be there - everyone does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me think: If you are doing it for looks, you are doing for others. Much better to do it for one's own heart, body, mind and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same insecurities with writing. I'll leave the working out to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol