Thoughts on Ukraine and our World



I have had writer's block as of late. My ideas have not flowed. My mind has been on other things these last couple months including family and home. This morning though, I decided to really learn about what's happening in Ukraine.

I spent the morning going through the many articles and photos of Ukraine's invasion by Russia to get a complete understanding on the horrors of which are happening. I hit the major news outlets, liberal and conservative, and everything in between. After two hours of reading, listening and viewing, I felt compelled to write some thoughts about it and the state of our world and society.

Our own small worlds will continue for now with the major disruption being higher priced goods and at the pump. And let's face it, it will not dissipate anytime soon. I am very angry and upset about the rising gas prices. 

I am continuously making adjustments to my budget as I commute an hour a day each way to work. I am feeling the pinch as most of us are. Luckily, most of us have our families, loved ones good warm meals, homes and our "extras" to keep ourselves preoccupied. But what of the future? What does that hold? 

Many online Facebook and Instagram posts have included the infamous 1984 "Red Dawn" movie captions, pics, and memes screaming out "Wolverines!" Children of the 80s remember that movie well when the USSR (at that time) invaded the United States. Movie purists will only recognize the original! Forget the remake in 2012.πŸ˜€ But I digress... Besides bringing a smile of nostalgia to my face, I seriously thought about "What if?"

I don't think that this scenario would happen. But if it did, most of you would clearly not stand up to the physical aspects of fighting a war against the Russian as the proud nationalist Ukrainians are now doing. And myself included. I would be the chunky guy in the back which would be sacrificed to the enemy so that others may get away. Sure I could tell a couple of bad jokes, make a mean spaghetti and meatballs, or even talk and ramble on and on until they give up but let's face it, I would probably end up with a slug in my head or as tank roadkill.

What could happen? The maniacal Putin could press the button and say fuck it and take out a couple cities by nuclear bombs to show he is not going to give up. More than likely it would be a European city, done as a show of force. Sure we may not be directly hit but then the entire world economy would most likely collapse and the resulting nuclear fallout would drift into our airspace. Decades of death, destruction and despair to come.

Don't think that's possible? Remember when the volcano exploded on Mount St. Helens on May 18, 1980? Yes, yes, some of you weren't born yet. Whatever. According to the USGS.gov website, Mount St. Helens spewed out 540 million tons of ash to a height of more than 12 miles into the air. It circled the globe in TWO WEEKS! Get those old fashioned iodide pills ready folks! (If not a hazmat suit.)

I sincerely hope we are not drawn into this conflict. I don't have the answers and I think the right choices are being made at this time with strict financial sanctions completely alienating Russia as we have done North Korea. My usual anxiety ridden self nervously eyes the Xanax bottle as a comfort blanket if I need it. Sorry Lexapro, you won't cut it if that happens!

Let's face it though, our world order is now permanently changed because of the delusions of a mad-man. And we thought the North Korean dude with the bowl cut was the crazy one?! How naΓ―ve were we? Even if he pulls out, the ramifications will last for decades to come. Face it, we have entered a new era of human history and conflict. 

And guess what, now your "Karen" issues are now very trivial. Don't complaint to me about anything less important. Chances are that I do not have the patience for it. There are bigger things happening right now in our world. 

Your food at a restaurant wasn't correct? They are out of your favorite brand at the store?  I didn't call  or text you back immediately? You feel slighted by a self perceived injustice? You are stressed that Kim Kardashian and Kanye have broken up and Pete Davidson is being threatened?  Seriously? Relax and fuck you. There are worse things happening in the world right now.

And on that note, I also have no use for "celebrity" anymore. I watch my shows and movies for enjoyment and escapism but that's all. Gone are the days of me following who is who. I think the excessive trappings of celebrity and wealth are disgusting. I just want to be happy, satisfied, a warm safe home, reliable car, and maybe a good beer and great steak every now and then. I think that's what alot of the Ukrainians want too. They do not nor asked for this war.

Back to Ukraine. My heart goes out to them:  Their incredible President Zelenskyy. The women and children fleeing. The men returning to their homeland to fight. The international fighters entering Ukraine to fight on their behalf. The beautiful Ukrainian cities failing siege from the assault of the Russians. Those brave men who are fighting to save their county, a democracy, from the autocratic communist clutches of Russia. There is no justification for this brutality and invasion. There is no reason Putin should be celebrated or admired. He is a despot, a tyrant, and the most evil man on the planet as we speak. 

No picture does this war justification. So many horrors have already been seen in this first week. I encourage you to not just read headlines and move on with your life. Read about this war. See the horrors. Know what is happening in our world and don't turn a blind eye. 


I will just leave the Ukraine flag as my first pic and the clenched fist as my last. Stand with Ukraine! 

***Bloggers NOTE: The Ukrainian flag is from Wikipedia and the clenched fist photo is by artist Jeff Bartels. It can be ordered here: https://www.zazzle.com/raised_clenched_fist_with_ukrainian_flag_canvas_print-192608981941569868



Comments

  1. It's tough to imagine the life you've made ending due to no fault of your own. Having to leave everything behind, send your loved ones away, and stay and fight. That's heavy. I would have no hesitation putting my wife and kids on the first train Westbound, and I would fight and do everything I could to get back to them and fuck up the people coming to do this to us. Not because I'm especially brave or patriotic or a badass, but because my family needs me and you've left me no choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Brother of my Son. I believe you have hit the nail on the Head with this one Marc. You have provided a lot to talk about in this thought-provoking piece.

    And you are right in seeing this for what I believe will really happen in the future. Putin is a thug and only wants to bring Russia back to its former glory, even if that means starting World War III.

    I have always said, "People need to study history, because if they do not, History will repeat itself".

    Again Marc, an excellent article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc- I have finished your article with tears in my eyes, a million questions no one can answer ( my usual) , and no idea why Hitler 2.0 oops ! I mean Pukin' not sorry, Putin, is not dead yet? It is 2022. What the fuck is wrong with people? We kill innocent people on the street for no reason! Here we have all the reason in the world - take this bastard down-slowly, painfully, but quickly like a week ago!!!!!
    In the meantime- we must do as Audrey Hepburn said, "the best thing in life to hold on to is each other!"
    Thanks for your words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life