Spying into Thy Neighbor's Garden!

While driving through Wernersville, PA this afternoon, I was admiring the lovely fronts of all of these perfectly kept Victorian homes, even in the dead of winter.  I do have a favorite thing I do though, that I am able to do only in certain towns with back alleyways. I will let you in on a little secret.

I drive down the back alleys and view the yards and back porches of these beautiful homes. I love seeing the backyards, the sanctuaries, the private oases of various families. Some have decks, some have pools, and others have beautiful gardens. If I am lucky, they have no fences and I am privy to see the private gardens where they relax.

In the front, the Victorian homes have beautifully public yards and porches. In the summer, large ferns, geraniums, or marigolds plantings dominate the front. Either wicker or rattan sets are spread out on wide verandas where cools breezes waft through. In the back, there may be bricked garden paths lines with lanterns. Or you might see various bird baths and bird feeders. A concrete bench for gossiping by a man made pond or fountain. Pairs of Adirondack chairs sit in one area of the yard, most likely facing the nicest vista or garden. I love it! It gives me ideas for my own garden. Backyards are places of refuge, places of relaxation. Driving around your neighborhood and "spying" into others often gives better ideas than the latest edition of Country Living or This Old House!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol