Wisdom From My Father


The_Wise_Owl.jpg
(Source)
Serious blog time. I have been going through some issues with certain people in my life and have realized after talking with my father that sometimes you have to "put things on a shelf" and deal with them later. As I get older, I find that you can't always deal with the issues at hand immediately. You have to table them until they can be delt with later. This is hard but necessary so the issue does not consume your every waking thought. It also helps in thinking more clearly about the problem.

Case in point: Someone does something to you and you just wanna strike out. Yet striking out will create more crazy drama that your life doesn't need. Instead, you have to table it or put it on that shelf until later. Take time to breathe. If there is more than one issue in the controversy, deal with the important issue first.

It sucks though. We know this. You wanna deal with it NOW! But you can't, simple as that. You need to continue on with other things in your life before confronting the controversy at hand. You can thank my wise Dad for that one. His advice to me was basically work on the main issue at hand. When that is resolved, tackle the other issues.

Did I mention it sucks? I guess that argumentative 20 something kid still lurks inside me. I saw glimpses of it this weekend and it shocked me that I can sometimes still get so angry it is hard to think clearly.  Thankfully, I have my wise father to rein me back in and show me the choices we have besides resorting to anger at particularly difficult confrontations.

Thanks Dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol