Bartender as Diplomat

I wanted to explain some bar etiquette to all my friends out there. Most of you know this but there are a couple which may need a refresher course. When you frequent the same neighborhood bar, you become friends with the bartender. As your bartender, I really enjoy seeing my regular patrons. It's a fun job, I get to talk with everyone. If you know me, you know I love to talk.  I pride myself on remembering someone's name, what he or she drinks and immediately getting it for them when they arrive. 

There are others which come into the bar which I do not know as well but I still strive to treat them with the same politeness, courtesy, and respect as I do everyone else. I make a point to spend time and chat with each person. I do this for the ones that I do not particularly care for.  It is part of the job. Remember that.

The way I figure, I represent the bar or restaurant as a sort of a diplomat of the establishment. You, the patron, are there to have fun and enjoy yourself and I provide the liquid refreshment for you to do so. That of course, is within reason. If you become rude to me, don't expect me to come back to you for more. I will provide you with your beverage and move on to the next person. I don't put up with being treated badly.

We as bartenders are not your punching bags. I will listen to your gripes and problems but do not put me in the middle of your fights or disagreements with the other patrons. I have to be nice and treat everyone equally.  Putting me in the middle is uncalled for, creates an awkward situation, and really doesn't make me want to like you. I had this happen to me the other week and after days of wondering "What did I do to trigger this?" I realized I did nothing wrong. I was only doing my job.

So as your bartender, I will strive to be polite and friendly to you. I will treat you with respect. Please do the same in return. Realize I have to spend time with everyone at the bar, even those that you personally may not like. Finally, remember that I am the one who is actually working and representing the establishment while you are the one drinking there. Now cheers, drink up, and don't forget to tip your diplomat ... I mean bartender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol