Childhood Pictures

At work, we have various activities and contests put on by a volunteer committee.  The most recent was a baby picture contest. You submitted your baby or childhood picture and people tried to figure out who's who.  It was fun seeing all of your coworker's baby pictures.

The week prior, I pulled out a folder of school pictures from elementary through high school which my stepdad Barry had given to me after Mom had passed. It was a fun albeit bittersweet trip down memory lane. I came across a picture of me in 7th grade so horrendous that I had to have a retake. The retake came out really good but the first one, UGH. I am still to this day mortified by how bad it was. The evil photographer had taken it when I was speaking and leaning forward. My mouth was agape catching me in midsentence. I looked instead like I was throwing up mid-seizure. It was just awful. I shudder at the sight of it. That one remains buried in the pile. You will NEVER see it.


Marc in First Grade, Wenonah Elementary School


There was another picture of me in 2nd grade with a cringe-worthy RUST colored turtleneck shirt. Just hideous, that color. It was the 70's though and Mom always tried to keep us dressed in the latest colors and fashions. She loved dressing us in plaids with wide lapels. And still another of me in 3th grade, having lost a couple teeth, looking like a mess. I looked totally unkept. I laugh at that one. I must have just come off of the playground from recess.

I chose for the contest, a favorite picture from 1st grade at Wenonah Elementary School. There I am with my bowl cut. I love this picture of me. It represents such a happy innocent time in my life. If I look closely I can still see a scratch on my chin. Mom was being overly dramatic because I had a scratched chin just in time for my school pictures. I don't even remember how I got it but I had fallen somewhere.

Pictures got better, I grew up. Looking back at last three years of high school, the pictures  weren't as geeky. I started actually looking like a young adult and not some nerd from the movie Sixteen Candles. Thank G-d most of us went through this. And oh yes, to those friends who were good looking all through elementary and high school, I think ya peaked early my friends. Yeah, that's right, I said it. YA PEAKED EARLY. J


Comments

  1. At least you didn't have 80's Aqua Net hair.....lol Some years I don't think all of my hair fit in the picture.
    That is a cut pic of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy vey.....sooooo precious! I'm ONLY his sister but I'm "kvelling" like he was my own son. My mother and I would've both said...."if we only could have the boys little like that for a day." We have another brother equally adorable. How innocent and special those days really were. Hugs little bro.

    Your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww.....having a son I know what you mean. I am going through pics for his 8th grade yearbook and I was thinking the same thing, to have him little for just one day. But even though he is taller than me he will always be my little boy.
    Thanks for the pic Marc.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! I was not that cute in high school, and look at me now.. LOL

    Herman

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to this article, Marc - as I was a super ugly child :-( I think your pic is very cute!!!

    ~Lisa W

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks as always, for your comments friends. I enjoy reading how others have gone through the same thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol