Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers out there including my close family and friends that are Moms.  I marvel at how you raise or have raised your kids. I have great admiration for anyone that is a parent. You definitely deserve this day!

It is a tough time of the year for those of us that have lost our Moms. I wanted to let them know I was thinking about them as well.  Some have just lost their Moms this past year. It will be a difficult holiday for you and I wish I could make it easier. Time does help, that's all I can say. 

I was recently happy to discover two facts about my Mom (who passed away in 2009) that I did not know before.  Learning things like this, no matter how minor, brings joy that you would not believe.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM. I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU.

The first is that a couple weeks ago I was listening to a favorite RnB song "Better Days" by the great American Jazz singer Dianne Reeves. It is an uplifting but bittersweet song reflecting on her grandmother but it reminds me of my mom and the wisdom she would instill in me.  I emailed the video to my brother and sister telling them how much I loved this song as it reminded me of Mom. My sister later emailed me back that Mom always loved Dianne Reeves too. I was astonished as I had never known that.  It gives the song such special meaning now as it is just one more connection to my dear mom.


The second thing I learned when I was relaxing on the deck before dinner last week. John was grilling burgers and I was enjoying a beer while looking over the lush green yard. Spring was in the air, it had just rained heavily and the yard smelled like freshly cut grass. 

I said to John, "You know I really wish Mom had seen this place before she passed away. She would have loved the yard."
He said, "She did Marc."
"What? What are you talking about?" I asked.
"I thought you knew. One day we were driving down Mohave Drive and passed this house and yard. I told her how much I loved the yard. She said she thought it was a beautiful yard, too."
"Wow," I said. "That just means so much that she saw the place that I would eventually call home and loved it too."
I just smiled ear to ear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol