Solar Panel Roadways

Please watch this slick, hip video. This concept is incredible:  To have roads set with solar panels which will spur the creation of a new industry allowing our country to move towards a self sustaining future away from oil, natural gas, and coal.  I watched this video several weeks ago and wanted to share my thoughts and concerns.



I would love to see it happen but I feel it would take such large scale investment by the government. It would create thousands of jobs but the initial investment would have to be incredible. And although it is a great idea, it gives no specifics in terms of start up costs or total costs on the large scale. One has to remember though that most of the great inventions started small through prototypes by someone with an idea, passion, resilience, determination, and focus.




I am concerned though, with the resulting future effect on the construction and infrastructure industry.  Yes, we would be creating a new industry but we would also be ending another. Families with breadwinners who have worked in not only these industries but also for oil, natural gas, and coal companies for generations would be severely impacted. How would their livelihoods be affected by this new industry? Would they be trained to compete in the new one?

The Solar Roadways campaign on Indiegogo.com (link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways ) ended on June 20, 2014 with over $2,200,000.00 raised. If you are interested in learning more beyond the videos and information presented, it seems like they are readily accessible. I wish them the best of luck. It is such a great idea and I am glad to see they are getting financial support for research. Our country needs to start thinking outside the box for our future energy needs.


Comments

  1. An interesting idea. And I like the Video asking for investors and not for the Government to fund the project. The Government needs to stay out of it and let this new Technology succeed or fail on it's own.
    I, too fear the job lost, due to this new technology. Some people will not be able to change over to the new jobs due to their education. This may one day be realized and all the roadways, sidewalks,and parking lots, etc, will be of this new Solar panels. But I don't believe it will happen in my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great comment Skip. Nor do I think it will happen in my lifetime, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life