My 20 Favorite Holiday Songs

We all have our favorite holiday songs, those songs you can't wait to hear each year. They get you in the mood, they get you sad, they bring you up, and they put you in the spirit f the holiday season! There are so many versions of songs year after year by your favorite artists. This year, Christmas albums have been released by country star Darius Rucker, Broadway star Idina Menzel, comedian Seth McFarlande (YES, you heard correctly!), R&B supergroup Earth, Wind, and Fire. Okaaaaay. I may get the album by Darius Rucker to add to my collection. Earth, Wind, and Fire? Um, I'll pass.

From my favorites list, you will see I mostly love the classic songs performed by artists of years gone by.  I also love holiday songs sung in a retro big band, swing style. There are a couple of quirky ones such as "Father Christmas" by the Kings or "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses. And still several others, like those two, are from the 70s and 80's which reflect my youth.  There are several sad ones but mainly happy uplifting ones. As many of you know, the holidays bring out every emotion.

Nestor the Long Eared Donkey
I had the list up to 30 but paired it down to my favorite 20 songs. Included are the videos of the songs or lyric videos from the website Youtube. The four honorable mentions at the end are grade school favorites. No list would be complete without including a photo of my favorite Christmas character, Nestor the Long Eared Donkey.

And for those  people still say I remind them of Hermey, the North Pole Elf who wanted to be a dentist, I don't see the resemblance.

Hermey the Elf

THE LIST:

1. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"  - Judy Garland

This song brings up such sad thoughts over the holidays of how much I miss my Mom and other family and friends who have passed. The holidays are wonderful, but bittersweet. It reminds me that I can and will get through it. It's not easy. There are fun times, but also sad memories. May we never forget those that we lost over the holidays and cherish those that we still have.  The Frank Sinatra version is great too but I like this one as it has the original wording.



2. "Jingle Bell Rock" - Brenda Lee

I love the Brenda Lee version. I sang this waaay back in some elementary school Christmas show with my 5th grade class at Wenonah Elementary School.



3. "Feliz Navidad" - Jose Feliciano

My family and I were traveling through St. Augustine, Florida on our way to Sanibel Island when I first heard this song. I reminds me of those years I spent with my family in Sanibel Island over the holidays. We laughed so much because it kept coming on the car radio!




4. "Christmas Through Your Eyes" - Gloria Estefan

Another slower Christmas song. I remember my past holidays as a child, so happy and wide eyed. I am so nostalgic.





5. "No More Blue Christmas" - Natalie Cole

This is sad but has a positive message.



6. "Christmas Waltz" - Natalie Cole

I love the Christmas Waltz because it is so sweeping in its sounds and arrangement. I can just imagine waltzing to it ... if I could waltz. And even then, I'd still step on  your feet and make fun of the people dancing around me. Just a feel good uplifting Christmas song from years ago that many young people do not even know exists.



7. "Last Christmas" - Wham -

Brings back great high school memories. And we all know now George Michael was really pining after Andrew Ridgeley. Totally geeky dorky video. LOL  Nice hair George. If I remember correctly, I think I had the same hair style one year.



8. "Silent Night" - Stevie Nicks

Just truly amazing.



9. "Do You Hear What I Hear" - Whitney Houston

Such a great rendition of this song, R&B but not over the top. She totally does it justice, my favorite version.  What a voice and what a loss.



10. "Little Drummer Boy" - David Bowie and Bing Crosby

Bowie and BING!!! What an incredible duet. I am still amazed they sang together so well! Their conversation though was just a bit odd. LOL



11. "We Need a Little Christmas" - Glee Version

This song always puts me in a great mood. The original version was in the Broadway musical "Mame". I think this snippet from Glee is hilarious.



12. "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" - Andy William

SUCH a classic!



13. "Happy Holidays" - Andy Williams

What can you say about Andy Williams! So uplifting and he puts you into the mood for the holidays. How can you not sing along?





14. "Father Christmas" - The Kinks

I love this song from 1977. I saw the Kinks when I went to Rutgers back in 1988. I was right at the stage and Ray Davies accidentally spit on me when he sang this song. Crazy disgusting memory huh? LOL



15. "Christmas Wrapping" - The Waitresses

Great 80s song. 




16. "Sleigh Ride" - Leroy Anderson

I always seem to hear this in department stores or elevators. I still love it though.



17. "Merry Christmas Darling" - Karen Carpenter

Anyone who knows me, knows I just LOVE the 70s. If my Mom could sing to me, I would imagine it would be Karen Carpenter's just lovely melodic voice, so soothing. I get emotional over this one, too. Makes me realize how much I miss Mom.



18. "Do They Know It's Christmas" - Band Aid

From the 80's again! The original just brings CHILLS to me. Bono is just haunting is this song. Even bluesy Boy George gives me goose bumps! I remember made Mom and Dad run out and buy me the 45 rpm single of the song.



19. "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" - Frank Sinatra

Great swing version by Ole' Blue Eyes.



20. "Let It Snow" - Michael Buble

Love Michael Buble's voice. He really could've been part of the Rat Pack.




Honorable Mentions: 

"Charlie Brown Christmas"


"Dominic the Donkey"


"Snoopy vs the Red Baron" - The Royal Guardsmen







"Jingle Bells, Batman Smells"

Hahaha, we sang this in 1st grade I think. Now I was at a Giant Supermarket last year and a little kid was singing this. His mother exclaimed, "Michael, stop singing that!" And I'm yelling down the aisle, "NO!!! Keep singing it!!! I had no idea kids were still singing this!" as I ran to her. They ran away from me. LOL.



Now I reserve the right to add to this list!  
What songs do you love and can't live without each year???

Comments

  1. Lots of good choices.... my tastes go more to the classical/churchy side.... but on your list, is what I think is the worst Christmas song... Dominic the Donkey. Jack R

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol