Live Smartly and Live Healthy!

Kinda Happy With Myself! 

Hey kids! You all know me and how much I love the gym. My love affair ebbs and flows though. During the Holidays... not so much. Winter time when I don't wanna leave the house ... not so much. LOL Now that Spring has FINALLY SPRUNG I feel a renewed drive to get back into shape. The love affair has been rekindled! I want to remind people about a few things though.

Some of us (myself included) are not in our 20s. If you expect to get back into shape, don't put those expectations so high as that you will be disappointed. Be happy and blessed for even your small steps of progress. I'm turning 48 next month. I've got some dad-bod! But, I'm proud of where I am and I recognize I am continuously a work in progress.

Facebook lovingly reminded me of myself four years ago when I worked out and was (gasp) almost 20 pounds less. I worked my ass off doing hours upon hours of cardio and I dropped weight dramatically. I was trying to get back down to that college weight. I wasn't even there yet but I was about 150 pounds. I looked sickly and too skinny. In a nutshell, I was skinny but NOT in shape. I can't imagine what I would've looked like at my college weight of 140 pounds. I realize now that is now a good weight for me at this point in my life.

I've learned to like myself and feel more comfortable these days with a little meat on my bones. I guess it's all about perception too. I can have some meat on my bones AND still be healthy! I work out now for health. Not so much for looking like that youthful Adonis in my memories. I used to though. Ahhhh, the memories of youth!

I 've realized that the narcissistic viewpoints of working-out are outweighed at my age by being in HEALTHY shape. Healthy heart, healthy  mind, healthy body. Don't forget that. I am reminded by a the 70s duo Captain and Tennille song which has the line, "Young and beautiful, some day your looks'll be gone!" And guess what immortal Millennials, IT'S TRUE! LOL

Working out and getting in shape needs to involve these three factors: nutrition, exercise and lifestyle. Now I am NOT a personal trainer by any means and before you start any exercised program (UGH) consult with your physician. I hate saying that but need to in these days of lawsuits and craziness. I mean really, it's just me, happy go lucky Marc! I am just telling you what has worked for ME!  :)

Nutrition means eating HEALTHY. I hear people saying, "Boo hoo.. it's TOO EXPENSIVE!" Are ya kidding me? Bite me. OK, go bite a carrot instead! With all the farmer's markets, produce stands, and discount produce places, you can get produce (veggies and fruits) relatively cheap. You have to search for them. Get online and look or ask a healthy person where they get their fruit and veggies. They may have some hints and tips.

And really, please STOP buying all that processed food shit. I'm done with hot dogs unless I am really buzzed and am craving a Hebrew National dog. Anything processed with nitrates and nitrates seems to not be good for you. Start looking at those ingredient labels people. Do your research! There are better alternatives available for you. You need to seek them out. Buying these processed foods is the easy way out and you may suffer for it later!

Lifestyle means start incorporating moderation, exercise and healthy food alternatives into your daily existence. After doing it so much, I don't even think about it. It is becoming natural, part of my day to day habit. I try and cut back on unhealthy foods, sweets, booze and processed foods on a weekly basis.

Exercise means doing something on a daily basis which gets your heart rate going. Experts say 30 mins a day, 3 times a week. I try and do something each day. I will include yard work, hard-ass housework (LOL), the gym or course, taking a LONG walk, or drinking beer out of a very heavy glass beer mug. But seriously, we can all afford 30 minutes of some type of exercise a day. Your day has 48 1/2 periods in them. You can afford to make time.

I enjoy my drink and personally, have decided not to give up my craft beers or whiskies. I love the flavors too much. (Hence, the dad-bod) BUT, I do them in moderation now. I actively exercise. I actively seek out healthier alternative snacks. I speed past Taco Bell cursing at them. (Um, yeah I do. LOL) I have decided that I want to enjoy life, enjoy experiences, enjoy flavors AND maintain my healthy lifestyle.

Life is too short, but don't do it with blinders on. Live smartly and life healthy! Now since I DID hit the gym today, this dad-bod will be knocking back an IPA beer.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life