Spring Roadkill Remorse

(Pic courtesy of Pexels.com)


In the beginning of Spring, it always seems like the hibernating animals and those that don't (you hear me crazy squirrels) gravitate towards the warm open roadway. One suddenly has raccoons, possum and skunk all trying to do their best impression of the 80s video game Frogger across the busy roads. Maybe the awakening animals are disoriented from hibernation and are most likely hungry while foraging for food. The poor lil' guys get whacked while we drive early in the morning to work or home in the evening.

This past morning I sadly struck a chipmunk darting across the highway probably on his first outing of the season. God damn it! I shouted to myself, upset that the lil' bugger got caught under my wheels. I said a quiet Rest In Peace Chippy and went on my way.

That brought me back to my memory of the very first time I struck an animal while driving. I was coming home from the AMC movie theater in South Jersey where I  worked during from '87 to '91. I was 17 or 18 and it was late in the evening, past midnight. I was driving through a torrential late summer downpour. While passing the pig farms, a familiar landmark in South Jersey, a black cat suddenly ran across the roadway trying to escape the rains. I braked and thank God did not fly off the road while hydroplaning. The poor cat was not so lucky. I was upset and pulled off to the side of the road.

Sitting in my car for what seemed like an hour, I wondered what I should do. I felt so bad hitting this black barn cat, the first animal I had ever struck and killed. I got out in the drenching rains and ended up finding a branch near the car and moved the cat off the road. I didn't want it to end up getting repeatedly run over. I figured he was somebody's cat and they would be upset but at least he wouldn't be further mutilated by passing vehicles.

More recently, I grazed a hawk as I left Lake Wynonah for work one morning. It wasn't so much a hit as more of a "fwump fwump fwump" as he rolled wings and all across my windshield. Mr. Hawk flew right into my car. He seemed OK as he continued all acrobatic-like back into the air flying away.

I have come across my fair share of rabbits during the early Spring, out for some nocturnal feeding. Luckily though, Thumper hasn't ended up under my wheels. I see plenty though that do. I was in line at the local bank one evening waiting for the drive-up ATM with my window rolled down. A rebellious squirrel got spooked by something and rammed full speed into my driver's side door. I jumped screaming "What the!?!?" He was almost propelled by the force of the hit through my open window. I remember seeing the flash of a scraggly grey tail in my peripheral vision. The Camry was luckily unscathed by the mad squirrel.

My sister Sheryl and I were driving through the Oley Valley one night about a decade ago. I was driving a big ass Ford F150 with huge tires. Doing 40 down a dark country road, a possum decided it was the best time to shuffle across the road. I slowed down, not completely braking as it would've been unsafe. We both gasped and held onto our collective breaths. The possum went under the pick-up and emerged unscathed in my rear view mirror, to continue his shuffle across the country road.

A raccoon wasn't so lucky. Same dark country road, same big ass pick-up truck, different time. I braked and Mr. Raccoon got caught up in the wheels being tossed off into the nearby field. You feel so awful when it happens. It just happens though. Unfortunately, your paths collide and usually the animal loses.

NO ONE in their right mind wants to be the cause of  a senseless animal death. But, after years of having it drilled into my head, I will not swerve, I will go forward and quickly pray for the best outcome. You don't want to die because of an unfortunate animal. That possum mentioned above, went on to live another day. The others, not so lucky.

Why even the most hardened of hunters wishes they don't hit a deer while driving. If the hit was a clean whack, some will even load it into the bed of their truck! Waste not, want not up in back country Pennsylvania my friends! Otherwise the PA Game Commission would just pick it up and dump the beast. Think of it as the deer is going on to providing a meal for a lucky family.

(By the way, interesting link on claiming deer carcasses:

I haven't hit a deer, KNOCK ON WOOD. Came pretty close down in Valley Forge, PA on Rt 422. A buck moseyed across the highway in my path. I braked and his rear almost took a glancing blow off of my pick up. He lived and continued nonchalantly across the road. I didn't breath again until the Collegeville exit many miles down the highway.

Living out in the far suburbs and countryside has it's share of problems. You get used to putting on your brights while driving at night, scanning the road for potential critters crossing the road. It's a fact of life out here. I have become pretty good at looking ahead, preparing to brake where I can. Some incidents are inevitable though. It's sad, but be thankful if you can keep the vehicle driving in a controlled manner.

I wouldn't wanna lose anyone to a crossing raccoon. You can say a prayer for the raccoon, be remorseful and move on. I'd hate to see anything happen to a person because they swerved to avoid an animal though. Be smart, drive straight, and drive on through it. Vehicles are replaceable. YOU are not. πŸ˜‰


Comments

  1. Before I started to read your latest blog on roadkill, I couldn't help but chuckle. Your standard blog explanation talks about exploring your roots through your family's cooking. Then your headline about roadkill. Expecting some delicious recipe for roadkill stew... instead a tale of your efforts to safely avoid nailing critters who cross your path. Or saying a prayer for the dearly or deerly departed. Not what I expected, but a good read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life