48th Birthday Wisdom

(www.pixabay.com)

I went into this 48th birthday wondering what wisdom could I offer up to others that I have learned over the last year? Have I learned ANYTHING since I turned 47?  I believe I have and I hope you indulge my random, typically meandering thoughts. If you can believe it ... I am more mellow than last year. 😜  LOL I even chuckled at that statement myself, but I AM!

In random order as usual: 

I find myself just sitting back and observing more before I make a statement or reacting. Instead of flying off the cuff and saying something which I would regret, I take a breath and a moment to collect my thoughts. I make a conscious choice to stand back and formulate a well thought-out opinion before responding. This is probably my favorite nugget of wisdom from turning 48.

Sometimes you think someone doesn't care for you but you are wrong. I don't mind being wrong in that circumstance. For years I thought that this certain person avoided me. But then they approached me and I had the warmest encounter with them. I was kinda shocked, but pleasantly so. We had a really good convo and then reconnected later online. Was really cool and made my vacation. 

It IS possible to become friends with someone after a major falling out. You just take baby steps in reconnecting. You can forgive but just don't forget. You may become more cautious in your interactions but that's OK too. 

I have also found this year that those you were once close with can turn so quickly against you showing the most hateful vitriolic side you wouldn't believe could exist in someone. It hurts but you move on. And you also drop them as quickly as possible. No one needs that. 

I WILL STATE THIS:  If my relationship with you is causing me stress, look for me to avoid contact with you or I will simply cut you out with no apologies. Life is too short for me to be getting stressed out over drama from people that I am not even close with.

I've witnessed a relationship that dissolved badly into divorce. Then the ex took his own life and my friend still remembered him for the man he was, the father of the children he helped bore, the children he helped raise, and she threw a memorial for him. It made me think that we need to come around and even after our relationships dissolve and recognize what that person has given us. I was so impressed with what she did. Maybe it was for her children but it showed the most incredible strength and maturity that I have seen in many years. She is an incredibly strong woman. 

If I see drama happening near me in a social setting, I will move away and avoid it. I've had enough since my youth to last me many many life times.

As one gets older, one becomes more attracted to someone's personality before their looks.

My hope for this world lies in the younger generation of my niece and nephew, not mine or the older generations. I do not have hope that the men and women currently in power will save this world. I just pray that they will not destroy it before the younger generation comes of age.

I have so enjoyed watching my nephew Johnny and niece Angelica grow up. Seeing my nephew graduate was just as exciting and wonderful and emotional as watching my niece graduate two years ago. Love those kiddos more each year.

I am still just as social, if not more, as I get older. However, I love and cherish my alone time.

I am seeing more beauty in simple things. The beautiful sounds of a desert bird. The smells of desert sage. The hot desert sun warming me during a hike.


48 aint so bad! New tatt! 
I marvel at getting older with the changes one undergoes physically: the need for progressive lenses LOL, gray hair everywhere, my crepey thin skin reminding me of my grandparents, annoying morning aches, and that damn bone spur digging in my heel. I complain and I survive.

I tend to savor flavors more. I am drawn to more spicy foods. I also seek out new culinary experiences. This recent trip out to Southern California, I sampled grilled rattlesnake, tasked like chicken ... really! 😊 I tried Mexican tamarind candy. Very interesting, tasted sweet and sour. I also had dinner at the Hawaiian Homestyle restaurant in Lakeside, CA enjoying ahi poke' as an appetizer as well as deep friend Spam musubi! Both were so good. (www.homestylehawaiian.com)  In West Hollywood at the restaurant Ago, I also enjoyed a creamy-dreamy Italian Burrata appetizer and a rich savory wild boar ragu over pappardelle pasta. (http://agorestaurant.com/) I think I fell in love with that meal. Thank you Cousin Bob! 

I try to  live in the moment and realize the important of putting social media and electronics aside.

Sometimes things end badly and it takes a strong person to not fall apart and accept the negative ending. Sometimes you need to do it with a stiff upper lip and move on. It's OK if you get emotional too though. Just get through those emotions the best you can. 

I am still learning things about my mother since her death that I did not know about and that makes me smile. I never knew that my Grandpop called her "Goldilocks" and he called his granddaughter, my sister Sheryl, the same. In addition, my niece showed me a quote from my mother that she would attach to correspondence to her. Just knowing something such as a quote that my mother loved fills my heart. I will post it at a later time. 

I am convinced more than ever that my mother watches over me in heaven and is my guardian angel.

Sometimes it is better to not plan events and let them happen as they man. You will be less disappointed.  Being spontaneous can lead you to the best interactions and experiences with people. I was in Hollywood wanting a nightcap at the hotel bar. I went back and forth on whether I should go down for a drink, driving my sister crazy in the hotel room. I was all dressed up from dinner and wired on two espressos. I followed my gut instinct and went down for a drink enjoying a great couple hours meeting and talking with people at the bar. It was such a fun evening and I'm so glad I did it! 

It's OK to let your guard down. 

I never thought I would love my sister Sheryl and brother Adam more and yet every year I do! Family has become everything. 

I am 48 and proud of my age. Thankfully I am blessed with good genetics (thanks Mom and Dad) and I find that a youthful attitude is key to keep me acting and feeling young. I am also always looking to have fun and definitely don't take myself too seriously. There is nothing special about me and anyone can benefit from this type of attitude. 

Take control of your life and have some fun! I have no major regrets. Well... maybe that Asian tattoo that doesn't mean what it's supposed to... (I'll repost that blog at another time!) 


Comments

  1. You almost had me in tears several times reading this blog… your wisdom curve is definitely in the upswing, because you are taking the time to listen. I am proud to call you friend. Fondly, Your sensei!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is this mature guy? LOL. Love this piece. You da man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol