Chocolate Chip Cookies by Mom

Homemade Choco-Chip Cookies!


This is one of the recipes that my Mom had in her recipe box which I finally made! Ironically though, I don't remember her ever making them. 😏 What I do remember are the bags of Chips-Ahoy cookies as well as the "cookie dough rolls" she would buy to make over the holidays. She also "hid" the Chips Ahoy in the top cabinet of the kitchen. Silly mother, we always knew they were there. 😎 I guess after a long week of taking care of us three ornery children, the last thing Mom wanted to do was make chocolate chip cookies from scratch! So in her honor, I have finally made them, first time ever by myself. 




This recipe was definitely a learning experience. I left the dough out a little too long and it began to get dry. So with the Big Ragu's help, I added a little whole milk, teaspoon by teaspoon to soften it up. After about 4 teaspoons, the dough was workable again to be able to drop it by dollops onto the cookies sheets. I doubled the recipe below and it came out to 3 dozen cookies.

Another issue that I ran into was arranging the baking sheets in the oven. After trial and error, I realized that for my next baking foray, they will need to be side by side on the same rack, not one below and one above. Placing the sheets on different racks slowed up the baking on the top sheet and sped up the baking on the lower sheet. It affected the cooking time with some cookies being cooked more than others. 

The first batch came out a little overdone so I kinda clock watched the second batch, minute by minute. That batch came out much better. Now before you say, well of course, duh! Remember, these blogs represent my first real effort baking a myriad of family recipes from bars to pies to cakes. Cut me a little slack. πŸ˜‰




One other thing, make sure the eggs and butter are room temperature. The butter will already be softened. It makes mixing it so much easier. 

I was really happy with the results. They were gooey and majority were the perfect consistency for a chocolate chip cookie. My three willing guinea pigs, the Big Ragu and my stepfolks Barry and Dee loved them so that made me happy as well. 


Chocolate Chip Cookies by Abby Newman Deeds 

Set oven to 345'F 

Ingredients: 

1/4 cup softened butter (1/2 stick) 
1 egg 
2/3 cup packed brown sugar (I used light brown sugar.) 
1 1/3 cup Bisquick baking mix 
1/4 cup all purpose flour 
1 package (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips 



Grease cookie sheet with shortening. Mix butter, brown sugar, and 1 egg in a bowl. Stir in baking Bisquick baking mix and flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto the greased cookie sheet. Bake in oven 8-10 minutes or until almost no impression remains when cookie is touched lightly. Lift cookies onto a wire rack with pancake turner. Let cool.

***Keep away the Big Ragu from stealing one before they're cool. 🀣

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life