Thinking About the Japanese Earthquake

During this past week, the world experienced the 5th largest earthquake in recorded human history.  The Japanese earthquake registered 8.9 on the Richter magnitude scale. What the earthquake didn't topple, the tsunami afterwards swept away. As of this date, it is estimated that over 10,000 people have perished. It really makes you think how lucky you are. In an instant, everything can be swept away and destroyed. I am grief stricken for the Japanese people of Sendai seeing them try and cope with the devastation. They look in shock, they look helpless.  Everything they had was just gone in an instant.

I have thought about what I have and surround myself with. What would I really want to save? What really means the world to me? My family heirlooms, family photographs, and scrapbooks of course. I would want to save my writing. But of the other stuff? It is all replaceable. I really don't need any of it. I mean I love my various antique collections but in the long run, it is just stuff. More stuff to dust.  And even with wanting to save my heirlooms, photos, and scrapbooks, the only thing that really matters would be seeing my family safe as well as my pet family too. I think we all can agree with that. I am going to try and take a new attitude towards the stuff I own. Pare down, sell off, and either increase my savings or use those funds to start seeing the world and experience different cultures other than my own.

I admire the strength and endurance of those that have lost everything that they have worked so hard for. I am, at this point in my life, definitely not as strong as them. The closest I have come to that feeling is losing my mother and after two years, am still struggling certain days with that. To lose everything and survive is, I can only guess, how you would truly find yourself, find what you are made of, and find what your purpose is on this earth.

Prayers and thoughts to those on the other side of the world going through such difficult times.  This natural disaster is, once again, an eye opener for us all. A country which is known for having some of the best earthquake proof architecture survived only to be ravaged by its sister nemesis, the tsunami. I have to say that sometimes I am seriously thankful I live in Pennsylvania, an area of this world where we see some flooding, some blizzards, some bad thunderstorms, and the occasional tornado in the countryside, but nothing like what they see in other parts of the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life