Charlotte Drops Off Dinner



This evening, I stopped by my neighbor Charlotte's house to talk with her a moment. It wasn't important, just a chat between neighbors. I came to her back door and she beckoned me to "Come in, come in, COME IN! You don't have to knock, just come in! COME ON IN!"
"OK OK!" I exclaimed laughing.

She was standing there in her kitchen, all 5'3" 90 pounds of her, making mini lasagnas at the table. Charlotte is my 76 year old divorcee' neighbor. She absolutely loves cooking and is great at it. Charlotte also likes gardening, her wine, and BBC's (Banana liquer, Bailey's, and Coco-lopez). John and I joke that Charlotte must think we do not know how to cook because she is always bringing us food. But we love her for that and certainly don't mind.

After we had chatted, I made my exit. It was a long day and I just wanted to change out of work clothes, make myself a martini, and relax before dinner. I didn't know what I was going to make. Probably a veggie stir-fry as I had picked up some bok-choy and portabellas.

About 30 minutes later, my door bell rang and it was Charlotte carrying one of the mini lasagnas!
"I brought you dinner!" she said smiling.
"Charlotte, you didn't have to!" I replied but so happy I didn't have to cook. Anyway, I was secretly hoping she would!
"You'd better let me come in because this is getting hot!" She was carrying it with a little dish towel.
"Oh sure, sorry! Come on in," I said opening the door. Just then, Max the Cat tried to bolt. I blocked him but also inadvertantly blocked Charlotte from entering.
"Sorry, Max tried to bolt."
"WOW this is really getting hot! I need to put it down now!!!"

I quickly grabbled Max and let her pass. She went up the stairs to the kitchen, saying, "Ow! Ow! Ow!" But suddenly she made a left and made a beeline into the living room!
"Where are you going?! The kitchen was straight ahead!"
"I don't know! THIS IS HOT!" She turned around heading for the kitchen with me carrying Max trailing after her.
"Put it down!" I said.
"I DON'T KNOW WHERE!" she turned to play hot potato and hand it to me!
"Don't give it to ME!!!" I exclaimed backing up with Max still in my arms out of her reach. Max was meowing in fear. "Put it on the counter! The counter Charlotte! THE COUNTER!!!"
"AAAAAAAHHH!!! OWIE!!!!!!"

She went to put the lasagna on a bunch of old photos on our breakfast table.
"Not there Charlotte!!!"
"THIS IS HOT!!!!" she yelled.
"Put it on the stove! THE STOVE!"

Charlotte finally put down the lasagna, wincing. "Ouch, that was hot."
"Are you alright? I'm sorry! Are you burned?" I exclaimed.
"Oh no no, I'm fine. Takes more than that to bother me."
"Okaaaay."
"OK, I gotta go, lemme know how you boys like the lasagna!" Before I knew it, she had already left the house and bolted across the yard towards her kitchen.

Crap, I thought, that is gonna be the LAST lasagna I get for awhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

Desiderata: a Manifesto for Life