Labor Day Baby Calf

(SOURCE)

On Saturday, I was on my way to the city to meet my sister for a Labor Day trip down to the shore.  Sheryl would drive us down to her friend Edna's condo in Atlantic City where we would meet up with our friend Marie for a day of drinking, beach lounging, fun, and the sun. Sher was staying over the holiday. Unfortunately I could only get away for the day, but a day away at the beach was sure to be relaxing enough!

I had just connected with the PA Turnpike towards Philly and was busy chatting away on my cell with my Dad out in California. On long trips to work or Philly, I use those times to catch up with friends and family.  The countryside along the PA Turnpike is either the hilly farms and countryside that PA is to famous for or miles of woods and fields.

I glanced over to my right as I passed a dairy farm. The herd of black and white dairy cows were lounging in the grass resting in the late morning sun or standing around eating their daily fill of grass. Standing in the middle of the field was a particular dairy cow which before my very eyes gave birth to a calf! It had just happened. I slowed down as best I could and exclaimed to my father, "Oh my God, hold on a second Dad! Just hold on!"  I drove slower past the field.  The black baby calf was lying in grass still attached to the mother with about 3 feet of placenta and membrane. I was in shock and amazed at what I had just witnessed.  I quickly told my father excitedly. Dad responded, "You had better put this in your blog!" Haha, so Dad, here it is!

The miracle of birth never ceases to amaze me. Whether it be human or animal. I have been able to witness, either on video or in person, a baby elephant being born, a beluga whale, a dolphin, puppies, kittens, foals, little chicks, ducks, and calves. Seeing it happen just takes your breath away. Here is one of a form of life taking it's first breath. Just amazing, every single time.

Comments

  1. Marc, Frazzled at FortySeptember 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM

    Just for clarification, the pic is not the baby calf I saw born. This is for oooo's and ahhh's only! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AP Cake, A PA Dutch Recipe

Baby Goats and a Sweet Summer Evening!

A Monster Allergic Reaction: Erythritol